Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Dinner

W

e finally have a couple days without rain, and I am enjoying it!

Last night I snacked on a piece of homemade bread and some blackberries:



Breakfast this morning was 3 small buttermilk pancakes with blackberry syrup:

Blackberry Syrup

- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup black berries

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Mash with the back of a fork.



This morning I did the 30 Day Shred again. I was still sore from the last time, but I made it through!

I had lunch outside on a rooftop deck with some friends. I had a chicken wrap and sweet potato fries, with a mojito.

The hubby and I had friends over for dinner this evening. We had a summery meal, including bruschetta, caprese salad skewers, grilled chili lime shrimp, BBQ'd ribs, Mediterranean potato salad, and corn on the cob. Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie pie with ice cream. We drank red wine.



Watermelon Salsa:



Potato chip with avocado, arugula, and crab mixture:





Chili Lime Butter:



Bruschetta (before broiling):



Caprese salad skewers:



Mediterranean Potato Salad

- 2 lbs unpeeled mini potatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 T chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or extra old cheddar
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions

Vinaigrette

- 3 T red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil

Directions:

- Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Put in a pot, and fill with cold water, 1 inch higher than potatoes. Add 2 tsp salt. Bring to boil. Reduce, and simmer 5 min. until tender. Save 1 T potato water for dressing. Drain well, and spread on large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Cook the potatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes or more at 350.

Prepare Dressing:

- Whisk together the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, potato water, and garlic.
- Drizzle half of the mixture over the hot potatoes when the come out of the oven.
- Cool the potatoes for 15 minutes, then put in a bowl.
- Add the mustard and basil to what is left of the dressing, and toss with the potatoes.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, cheese, onions, and parsley, and stir well.



We also had Greek and BBQ ribs (not pictured), grilled shrimp, and corn on the cob.

Dessert was chocolate chip cookie pie with ice cream:



I sent my friends home with a little bag of biscuits for their dog. I made them this afternoon:



What are your plans for the weekend?


12 comments:

Maggie said...

Watermelon salsa sounds like a great cooling snack! I will have to try that.

30 Day Shred is one of my faves :)

Anonymous said...

i bet your friends love coming to your house!! bye bye to boring chicken and rice..look at that spread of food you guys served! :) I'm working one day this weekend then going to a bigger city for lunch with a friend on sunday!

Anonymous said...

Good looking food as usual! Plans...still leaning towards doing my triathlon :-) Should get mad props for going through with it after my accident! :-)

Simply Life said...

Looks like a great meal!

Kat said...

yOU ARE THE BEST PARTY THROWER!! I love all the food..it looks great! I am so looking forward to spending time with family this weekend!

Heather Iacobacci-Miller said...

That potato salad sounds really good. I don't like the mayo kind. I make doggy treats too. So fun. Depending on the weather, we're supposed to head to the lake with the family and take in a baseball game.

Anonymous said...

The dinner menu sounds awesome! This weekend is one of my baby showers. Exciting!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

Great looking dinner party! :D

Kacy said...

What a beautiful dinner girl!

No big plans for the weekend... hopefully catch up on some sleep!

Kelsey Ann said...

potato salads are heavenly in this weather!!

k how cute are those little doggie biscuits! I ALMOST WANT TO EAT THEM! lol <3

a chocolate chip cookie pie!! with ice cream no less!!! WOW WOW WOW

Amber said...

Trying not to melt - it's going to be 38 in Kamloops on Sunday. And, at some point before it GETS that hot, running 20K!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Love the watermelon salsa!! Blackberry syrup looks awesome too, thanks!