Sunday, July 25, 2010

Family Meals, and Hurt Foot/ Ankle


Thank you all for the anniversary wishes!


On Saturday morning the hubby and I were up bright and early, as we were heading to Saskatoon to visit my mom. I had a bagel and OJ for breakfast before we left:



In Saskatoon we had lunch at a Coffee shop/ Korean restaurant. I had Bee Bim Bap:



All stirred up with lots of hot sauce:



We spent the day visiting with my mom, and then found out that "Taste of Saskatchewan" was happening in the city. It is a festival with different restaurant booths set up. You buy tickets and can sample foods from different restaurants throughout the city. We went there for dinner, and shared a bunch of foods.

This looks like a lot, but I only had a few bites of each thing. We actually ended up wasting a lot of food because we had tickets to use up, so we just tried a taste of some of the things.

Pasta



Enchilada



Green Curry



Butter Tart Flambe. This was INSANE.



Deep Fried Ice Cream



Deep Fried Mars Bar



We left happy :-) And full.

This morning we had my family over for breakfast.





We had mimosas, waffles, mini fritattas, and bacon:



This was my plate (1/2 waffle with strawberries and whip, 2 mini fritattas, 2 slices bacon):



Our mimosas were made with sparkling wine and POM Juice. The kind people at POM Wonderful sent me some free POM to try. I have had the regular POM juice, and so today I tried the Mango POM:





This juice was excellent in the mimosas, but also great by itself. I prefer it to the regular POM as it is a little less tart. It has a slight sweet flavour. The mango flavour doesn't stand out, but it does taste different than the regular POM juice.

The regular POM juice has only ONE ingredient - Pomegranate juice.

This mango POM has only TWO ingredients - Pomegranate juice and mango juice.

It is loaded with antioxidants, and is 100% pure.

Many other companies purport to have 100% pomegranate juice, however if you check their labels you will see that this is not what you are getting.

This juice is expensive, at approximately $5 for 473 ml and it is perishable (good for 14 days after opening) - but keeping the ingredient list in mind, I think it is a fair price to pay!

This evening we had the hubby's family over for a hotdog roast :-)









Yes, I went from 100% pure, natural juice ... to hot dogs. Hehe.

Dessert was a strawberry rhubarb crumble.

Before:





After:



I had a small portion of the crumble with 1/2 cup ice cream, and a s'more:



I forgot to mention that I hurt my ankle/ foot about a week ago. While dancing last Friday I must have jammed something in my foot, or pulled something, because it felt funny all week. It is still hurting when I move my foot a certain way, or when I walk too long on it. It is not excruciating, just uncomfortable. I am going to have it looked at tomorrow if it is not better.

What did you do on the weekend? What was the highlight? Do you ever sit around a fire pit and roast hot dogs/ veggie dogs, marshmallows etc.?

19 comments:

Becca said...

Aw, your table setting is so sweet - breakfast with friends/family is always a nice treat. I hope you guys had a great time! (How could you not! Look at that food.. mmmm)

Heather said...

Looks like you had a great weekend!!

We roast marshmallows on occasion - wish we did more often! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Wow sounds like you guys had one packed weekend. Love the idea of the mini fritattas. We had a busy weekend too: lake day, dinner with friends, knocking tons off the to-do list. Hope your ankle feels better soon. That's never fun.

Simply Life said...

Wow, look at all that delicious food- yum! So sorry to hear about your foot - I hope you take care of it and that it starts to feel better soon!

Kat said...

Sorry to hear about your foot/ankle! Rest up, hope its better soon!! Girl you are brave to tackle those dogs...I cant stand the thought of eating one!! Maybe its just because I know what they are made of haha but when I was little I use to love them with chili!!

Kacy said...

Mmm, pom mimosas sound like a great twist! This weekend the highlight was going out with friends. I don't get to have fire pits very often, but that sounds super fun!

Anonymous said...

I hope your foot/ankle feels better!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

yay fun weekend!!
We had a great one too!! You'll see all about it on Wednesday in my blog post! We do hot dog roasts lots, love them!!

Hey that Okios Coconut bar - where did you get it? It's the most amazing yummy thing I've tasted in a lonnnnnnng time!! :) hehe

Thanks again for that package!

~ Diana ~ said...

What a fun relaxing weekend of yummy fun! I need to go camping soon so I can make smores! Love the tasting festival at your town! I wanted to go to the taste of Chicago last month !

Alanna said...

mmm! all that food looks yuuuummy!

Hopefully you just have a little overuse issue with you foot or something and nothing serious!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful weekend! I had towork, so mine was far less eventful!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

whoa what a spread! it alll looks amazing!!!!!!

so sorry bout your foot/ankle...i hate injuries that nag and re-happen. Take care of your footsie!!!

xoxo

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged said...

Hehe, I don't think I could order bee bim bap without laughing at the name ;) Your whole spread looks amazing! Nothing wrong at all from the pom juice to hot dog transition! This morning I went from a Green Monster to a mini Butterfingers at work!

Tracy said...

I love your blog! Your pictures are great! A hot dog roast looked so yummy and fun! Keep up the great Blog! ~ Take Care...

Kelsey Ann said...

AWE URGH!!! what a pain for real- not fun, and not fun in the summer in particular!! hope u start feeling better and it doesnt cause u too much trouble :(

btw. i greatly appreciate the weiner roasting pic haha <3

Christina said...

ouch! hope your foot gets better! :)

i like sitting around roasting s'mores! mmm

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since I roasted some hot dogs like that. Use to do it all the time when I was younger and camping. Sucks you hurt your foot. Hope it gets better soon.

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

cool, i love festivals! i had one this weekend too, dedicated to chocolate, coffee, tea, and spices (i know, it was rough.)hope your ankle is getting better!

Allison @ Food For Healing said...

what did you think of the deep fried ice cream and mars bar? I dont think i would touch that stuff, my stomach is too sensitive. Was it any good? Whats the icecream like deep fried, it is still cold and frozen in the middle?