Sunday, July 18, 2010

Friends, Pool Party, And Dead Camera Battery


"One of the delights of life is eating with friends, second to that is talking about eating. And, for an unsurpassed double whammy, there is talking about eating while you are eating with friends."
Laurie Colwin


The hubby and I spend a lot of time with our friends. As much as possible. We are a tight group, and we have had, and continue to have many awesome times together. We travel, go camping, we laugh, we dance like crazy people, and we eat.

On Friday evening the hubby, nine of our friends and I headed out of the city to a small town about an hour away. Our friend Heather lives and works in this town, and since she comes to see us every weekend, we all decided to go out and see her. We packed our sleeping bags, air mattresses, pillows, and sweet dance moves, and headed to Weyburn.

Our car started making a funny noise on the way. The hubby pulled over in a ghost town and checked the oil. We had none. Ooops. There was not a person to be seen (and we were on main street). The only place that was open was a bar. My friend Corrine and I headed in and told the bartender our problem :-) We had 5 litres of oil for our car in about 10 minutes. Friendly small town folks - there is nothing like 'em!

Once we finally got to Heather's We enjoyed a couple bevvies, before gearing up for a night on the (small) town. We ate dinner at some dingy restaurant. I had a taco salad and a pint. Later we went out dancing ... and did we ever dance. I think the locals thought we were CRAZY. They were jealous of our moves - hehe!

This was the theme song playing in my head the whole night:



Ahhhh, what a night.

In the morning we stopped for coffee and bagels before heading back to the city. Later I had leftovers from my tofu bowl (that I had Friday), and dinner was pizza!! (Sorry Camera battery died, so no pics).

This morning we went for breakfast with my family. I had 2 eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, and hashbrowns, with OJ and coffee.

The afternoon was spent with our friends at a pool party!







I nibbled on chips and dip, and fruit:



Dinner was 1/2 a burger, spinach salad, and beans. My dessert was some strawberries with dip, as well as this lovely plate:




(1/2 a shortcake, with 1/2 a pineapple ring, whip cream, blueberries and chocolate). It was a perfect 4 bite dessert. I ate most of it.

Later this evening I got hungry and had 1 slice of pizza (without crust):



What kinds of things do you and your friends do for fun?
Do you get together in large groups? Travel together?



15 comments:

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

glad to hear everything worked out with your car. what a nice bartender:)

as for things with friends....it's usually dinner and drinks at a downtown bar/restaurant. i'd throw a dinner party, but my culinary skills stop after cereal and milk (which is still mighty tasty, might i add...)

Becca said...

Ewww so many olives! Gah. My Monkey would LOVE that pizza.

Lucky with your car eh?? That sounds like it was dangerously close to killing your engine.

Anonymous said...

my friends and I live so far apart from each other now! But we are planning a HUGE get together this weekend! :)

Simply Life said...

What a fun weekend! I love that you were able to get help for your car right away!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

How fun. We had a couple that we could easily travel with - but now they have kids and we have not been able to travel together in a long while. We mostly hang out with friends in smaller groups.

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a great time! I think the best outings with friends are the ones where everyone sits around and talks or plays board games.

Christina said...

that shortcake is so pretty. and there are SO many olive on that pizza wow! my friends and i go out to eat a lot! and go to the beach or on the boat.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Sounds like fun!!!
When I was single, I was a social butterfly, I hardly spent any time at home...
Now Dave and I are more home bodies. I don't know what inspired the change. But oh well... I like both worlds! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

whoa car trouble is the worst but thank god it ended ok!

that cake..looks amazing!

time w/ friends, pool party...what a great weekend and before i had skylar, 99% of my summer weekends were spent poolside w/ a drink in hand :)

sophia said...

One thing I love about your blog is how social you are. I notice that the trend among bloggers is that most of them tend to withdraw themselves into their own world, and their own cliques. But you are like a butterfly, and it makes your posts more interesting. I mean, you don't eat the same oatmeal and chia pudding in a social gathering!

Ellen@FirednFabulous said...

Oh my gosh, so much fun! And that dessert looks ridiculous. In a good way of course ;) So does the pizza. Now I'm hungry!

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged said...

I love that quote! That's like the official blogger meetup slogan ;)

You're so lucky to have so many local friends. I just graduated and most of my friends are home for the summers - I'm so ready for them to move back down for the upcoming school year! I do know a handful of people in the area now, but as someone who would rather go out and socialize rather than sit at home, it doesn't seem like enough. I've gotta get out of my comfort zone and go out to meet a few new locals, but I don't know where to start!

Anonymous said...

i love that quote! i want to do something artsy fartsy and create something with that quote to put in my kitchen. thank you for sharing!

Kacy said...

I depends on my friend group, but we do things like road trips, going out to dinner/movie, going over to each other's houses to cook dinner, laying by the pool, going out to the bars, going for runs/walks together. Everything is more fun with a friend!

That 4-bite dessert looks delicious!

Sara (The Saucy Dipper) said...

You said the magic words..."chips and dip." Ha!
No weekend is complete without it, at last that's the way it goes at my house.

Looks like you had a great time.