Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Brownie Batter VOO Parfaits & Sopa de Lima (not together)

T


oday was a beautiful, quintessential summer day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the leaves were rustling in the light breeze.

All clichés were in order, and life was good.

I tried to soak up as much of the day as possible.

I noticed this morning that although some of my plants had died from too much rain, others were flourishing. I plucked two ripe peppers this morning:



Aren't they cute!



Breakfast was 2 eggs with 1 slice of toast (hiding under the eggs) and a plum. I also had a glass of OJ and some coffee:





Later in the morning I met up with a friend at the farmer's market. We did some shopping and then had sushi for lunch (gyoza, tempura, soup, rolls).

This was my haul from the market:



I am especially excited for the lemon loaf:



I spent the afternoon reading outside on my deck while sipping fresh juice (grapefruits and green pepper):





Dinner was soup and salad. I used the farmer's market tomatoes and cucumber in a spinach salad with lemon poppy seed dressing:





The soup was Sopa de lima (lime soup). I didn't follow a recipe, and I didn't measure so this is very approximate. It will taste good no matter how much you put in of the ingredients.

Sopa de Lima (Lime Soup)

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
1.5 litres chicken broth (low salt)
1 cup dried hominy
3 limes
cilantro
oregano

Saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno in a little bit of oil for a couple minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the hominy and return to boil. Reduce to low, then cover for 25 minutes. Add chicken, lime zest and juice from 3 limes, and oregano to taste. Serve hot with cilantro to garnish.



After dinner the hubby and I went for a walk. He was craving ice cream, so I made some Banana Brownie Batter VOO (Vegan Overnight Oat) parfaits.

Brownie Batter VOO

1/3 cup quick oats
just over 2/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
1 scoop chia seeds
1 T cocoa
4 drops vanilla liquid stevia (optional)

Mix together and leave in fridge overnight.

We SHARED 1 batch of these oats, layered with banana soft serve (1 banana whipped in Vita-Mix with 1 T almond milk).

His and hers:





Do you shop at farmer's markets? What do you typically buy? Is yours open year round? Outdoor or indoor?

In my city the farmer's market is only outside for a couple months, then it moves indoors for the rest of the year. I always buy tomatoes, and usually a small loaf of some kind.

18 comments:

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

Sydney has great farmer's markets scattered around town, except the one closest to me is only open 1 weekend a month. (that's what you get for living downtown.) your soup looks delicious, btw!

Simply Life said...

oooh delicious dinner and dessert!

Becca said...

Those peppers are so so cute! I wish I had a little mini garden for growing.

Anonymous said...

I wish my little crappy city had a farmer's market! :( The only farmer's market I've been too was in NYC! BTW are you using all your free time creating delicious oats? hahaha Love it!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman said...

You had such a fresh-eating day. Those tomatoes look so great! Farmers markets around me are open from May or June to Thanksgiving usually. After that, we're stuck with grocery stores for the winter. I always envy California people who get year-round markets.

Anonymous said...

I don't shop at farmer's markets because there aren't any around me. :(

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Our market is only open May-Oct. We try to shop there, but Saturday mornings are super busy for us so sometimes it's hard to make it by there. Luckily, there is a new market in our area that carries local produce.

Kat said...

Ive shopped at the farmers market a few times and LOVE it. The one here is pretty small though, so its really only good for fruits and vegies...no good baking stops unfortunetly!!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

Look at those cute little peppers! Love it!

I love shopping at the farmer's market...I wish they were all year!

Kacy said...

I love farmer's markets! I'm hoping to go to the one here this weekend, but my run might get in the way.

That lime soup sounds fantastic!

Eden said...

I love farmers markets! I wish I had an iphone so I could have the farmers market app.
theres one everyday here in LA so I'm really lucky. I love getting all the samples! weather is sunny all year so w always have lots of fresh picks!

Heather said...

We grow our on tomatoes and cucumbers (those are most successful!), and then get carrots and fruit at the market. Sadly, ours is only open in the summer!

Your parfaits are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh man that soup looks so good!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the brownie batter OVV would be vegan!! I'll have to try that! YUM!

Jocelyn said...

hey girlll...as always...great looking and creative meals!! :) Glad you are enjoying the summer!

THose peppers look so cute..I bet they will be mighty tasty! :)

:Deliciously Healthy said...

THANK YOU for the YUMMY recipes!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum said...

Yum! I need to try those brownie things!

Shannon M said...

Our market is only open in the summer. It is a 100 mile market so the produce can be limited. This time of year I buy beans, carrots, berries and some baked goods (feta and spinach danishes that are to DIE for!)