Monday, July 12, 2010

Blackberry Banana Softserve VOO & Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Pear Crisp

J

ust when I thought mornings couldn't get any better - BOOM!

This is the stuff that dreams are made of ...




Blackberry and banana soft serve:


(1 frozen banana, 6 frozen blackberries, approx. 3 T vanilla almond breeze)

Layer with vegan overnight oats for a perfect summery breakfast:











Regular Vegan Overnight Oats

Just less than half a cup quick oats
Just over 1 cup almond breeze (I used chocolate, and a touch of vanilla)
1 scoop chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and put in fridge overnight.


After my dreamy breakfast, I did the 30 Day Shred. I found the shred MUCH easier today, than the previous 3 times I did it. The push-ups have gotten easier, and I can already feel myself getting stronger. After shredding, I danced around the house. Oh, to be a fly on my wall ;-)

I threw together a light salad for lunch with avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. I had some tuna on the side (mixed with light mayo and onion):





After organizing my closet and dresser drawers in the afternoon, I had half a cup of mocha yogurt:



For dinner this evening I whipped up a mango curry, which I served over basmati rice.

Mango Curry

1 T olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 T red curry paste
1 can light coconut milk
1 cup chickpeas (I added some other beans in too)
14 oz can diced tomatoes (with some of the liquid)
1 mango chopped

Heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add the curry paste and cook about 1 minute (stirring). Add coconut milk and chickpeas. Simmer about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, and simmer a few more minutes. Add the mango, and simmer another few.





I was experimenting in the kitchen today to come up with something for dessert. We have a bunch of pears, so I decided to invent a little pear crumble. I had no idea if it would turn out, but it did!! If you haven't tried this flavour combination before, you simply must!

Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Pear Crumble

4 pears
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 a vanilla bean
1 T sugar
2 T brown sugar
1 T flour
1 T cocoa
4 T quick oats
1 T cold butter (or vegan substitute like Earth Balance)
pinch sea salt

Slice the pears and layer them in a greased casserole dish (small). Sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon between each layer, as well as rub some vanilla bean seeds on each layer.


(The little dark specks on the pears are the vanilla bean seeds)

Mix together the sugars, flour, cocoa and oats. Sprinkle over the pears. Break the butter into little pieces and drop on top. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of sea salt.



Cover and bake for 10 minutes at 350. Remove lid, and bake 15 minutes more. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream or coconut ice "cream" for a even more special treat.





Have you ever made a crumble?
What is your favourite kind?


I have been wanting to make strawberry rhubarb crumble for a week now, but the grocery stores in my city don't have any rhubarb at the moment. I will check the farmer's market on Wednesday.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE getting stronger! Can't wait till day 30 when you show us your guns! UGH I want a crumble!! My favorite kind is plain ol apple! Your smoothies are getting so creative!

Simply Life said...

oh that breakfast does look delicious!

Amber said...

Hmmm yes I love crumble - in fact, APPLE crumble is one of my fav desserts EVER!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

Oh that breakfast looks divine. Wow. I haven't made any sort of crumble in more years than I can remember. It was probably an apple crumble though.

Anonymous said...

I've never made a crumble before - sounds like fun though! OMG the blackberry and banana soft serve looks amazing!

Kat said...

I love overnight oats with the banana soft sreve. So refreshing and delish!! My favorite crumble to make is peach crumble. Even my pick hubby likes it!!

Lele said...

Mmm I love making curry (especially in the winter) but have never added mango. That sounds SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

wow, hello delicious eats!! I realllyyy need to jump on the softserve/oats bandwagon! THEY LOOK SO GOOD! and mocha yogurt? YUM!

Anonymous said...

That soft serve looks so good! I don't bake so no I haven't made a crumble but apple is my fav so far.

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I've never actually made a crumble, but I do enjoy blueberry. When do I not enjoy blueberries?

Amanda J said...

Gorgeous food! I'm especially impressed with that beautiful parfait!

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

If I had to choose one, I would say apple. Your breakfast looks amazing! That is a reason to wake up all in itself! I saw your nephew sporting a sweet mohawk in your last post! Too cute! My youngest son has one too and loves it. Boys and their style!

Anonymous said...

That Jillian is definitely a task master! Your crumble looks fantastic. I have a bunch of peaches, I should attempt a peach crumble!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly said...

Oh my gosh that pear crumble looks amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela said...

hey Jolene! i just found your blog and wanted to say hello! i'm from the Canadian prairies myself, but currently eat/sleep in Sydney, Australia. (where there are just as many Canucks. have you been?) great recipes and great post! (which reminds me, i should really start doing some pushups. ugh...)

Kelsey Ann said...

i CANNOT believe how gorgeous it looked in the blender. it seriously made that shape or swirls? wow its so perfect!

omg and the finished product is better than anything photographed in a magazine- in fact you should totally submit this to a magazine for their summer recipes! they would love this!

xoxo

Kelly said...

Wow! Your food is beautiful! Especially the soft serve in the blender? How did you get it to make such a pretty design. Can you come cook for me? :)

Cindy said...

Hi Jolene. I am so glad you said HI on my blog..OH MY GOSH I love what you've got cookin' over here!

your blackberry banana softserve made me die!

Can't wait for breakfast this weekend!
nice to "meet" you!

Jessica (Healthy Exposures) said...

everything looks amazing, especially that breakfast and curry!! i love the shot of the soft serve in the blender. so gorgeous. thank you, i am drooling :P

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman said...

OH that crumble looks great! The photo of the soft serve in the blender is great. It's so pretty, and I love the swirls!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! you should see the drool coming out of my mouth right now. your breakfast sounds LOVELY!!!!!! does the blender leave it swirly like that?

thanks for stopping by my blog! i'm excited to see more of your foodie creations.

Rachel (tea and chocolate) said...

Wow those overnight oats look amazing! So colorful.

I think an apple crumble was one of the first desserts I made when I was little. It's still my favorite!

Kait said...

Mmm your breakfast looks amazing, but I honestly would just ditch the oats and eat the softserve... :)

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Yummy blog!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

omg this is your BEST post ever i think!! love it girl!!

Chocolate and Vanilla Bean Pear Crumble looks amazing and i love crumbles

here's my NO BAKE vegan, GF one..so easy!!! make it!
http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2009/10/raw-vegan-apple-crumble-two-awards.html

Anonymous said...

I love crumbles and especially love what we call cobblers...flour and egg with butter on top of fruit. Delicious with ice cream when it's hot out of the oven. I like your blog!

Christina said...

wow, so many good recipes on the very first post i read! so glad you stopped by my blog so i could read yours :)

Jenn said...

Hmmmm....my comment didn't go through. Delete this if it's a repeat.

Ummmm...can I some and stay at your house for a week? I'll clean if you cook. All of your food looks AMAZING!!! Seriously.

Nope, I've never made a crumble. Look delicious!

Heather said...

Mmmm, the soft serve and curry look so good, I'm going to have to try those out!

Yelena said...

I seriously need to come over just so I can follow you around and you can cook for me, OK?

I think I need to remedy my blender situation and copy that breakfast. So good!

Lauren @ BIOCHEMISTA said...

Hi Jolene! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog! I am more and more impressed/obsessed with this supportive community everyday :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. And you're exactly right, it puts EVERYTHING into perspective.

I'm really looking forward to reading more of your blog! Have a great day!!! XOXOX

Christine@Grub, Sweat and Cheers said...

Lovely looking curry - I've been craving one lately and have just been waiting for some cooler weather!

I do make crumbles...rhubarb is my favourite by far...love the tang of it especially as a contrast to vanilla ice cream...which is a must. I make mine with a thick crumble layer on top...lots of buttery/sugary crumbs!

Alisa said...

Soft-serve style is how I've always made smoothies, thick and spoonable! I love the way you incorporate overnight oats. Seriously girl, your eating style is right up my alley, everything looks great!

sophia said...

your pictures are just getting more and more stunning!!! I LOVE that picture of the soft serve twirled in the blender...so gorgeous!!

Val said...

It all looks amazing and I'm so hungry now....... = )

Anonymous said...

I love apple crumble.... such a classic!!!!
The soft serve looks soooooo good!!!!!! I've never thought of mixing that with overnight oats.... will need to try!
That salad looks super good too.
I mix black beans, corn, tomato, and cilantro, with lime juice. Soooo good. I will have to try it with avocado though!!!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

Can you please move in next door to me so I can come over for breakfast?! That looks amazing!

I agree...the Shred gets progressively easier each time!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

So your breakfast looks SERIOUSLY amazing!!! HOLY yum!!!

Anonymous said...

I love love LOVE the purple swirly in your blender! Haha I don't know why but they're just so mesmerizing!

WOW and I've GOT TO try that Mango Curry recipe! I love curry and I love mango. Put them together and it's paradise.

Lori- what runs lori said...

This day's worth of food tops it all! YUM! Can't wait to try... well... all of this! Thank you so much for the recipes!