Thursday, July 29, 2010

Backyard BBQ, Homemade Hot Fudge, French Toast Sundae


F


inally I can upload pics! Ugggh, technology sometimes. I have a lot to recap from the past day and a half.

On Tuesday evening we had some friends over for a backyard BBQ.







We ate gourmet smokies (toppings included: Gruyère cheese, bacon, sauerkraut, fried onions, pickles, and condiments), Greek pasta salad, and assorted appetizers. I drank beer and wine.









Dessert was a "make-your-own-sundae" bar:









Mine:



Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce
(Recip
e Adapted from Donna Hay Magazine)

1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate (dark or milk)
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 T liquid honey
3 T unsalted butter

Put everything in a saucepan over low and stir for 4-5 minutes until melted and smooth.

Yesterday morning I saw an INSANE breakfast on Caitlin's blog. I had never been happier to have eaten breakfast yet! I made it right away.

French Toast Sundae





Essentially 2 slices of French toast (dipped only in egg, and with almond butter in between) baked in 375 oven for 20 minutes. Topped with banana "soft serve" (1 banana whipped to smithereens in food processor or Vita-Mix with 2 T almond breeze). Put the soft serve on the French toast, and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Cherry on top.

That breakfast kept me full for many hours, so I ate a really late lunch. I only had 1/2 cup of leftover risotto, and a 1/2 cup Source Vanilla yogurt with chia seeds and strawberries:





In the afternoon I went to the Doctor about my foot. He moved it all sorts of ways that didn't hurt. Only I could make it hurt by pointing my toes, or bending my foot a certain way. Since there had never been any swelling, he said I probably just had an inflamed nerve, and he gave me prescription antihistamines. I HATE taking medication, so I haven't had one yet. This morning my foot actually feels a LOT better.

For supper yesterday we had to eat up some stuff in our fridge and freezer. I had 1 veggie pita pizza, with some cauliflower, and about 1/4 cup of pasta salad:





Dessert was a fudgesicle:



Tomorrow morning we will be up at 4:00 am, as we are heading out on the road at 5:00 to go to Calgary for the hubby's Half Ironman. He has been training A LOT. He has done Olympic triathlons and half marathons, and the training for those seems like nothing now that I have seen him train for this! I am so excited for him - it will be a HUGE accomplishment.

What are your plans for the weekend?
What do you consider to be your biggest accomplishment (fitness or otherwise)?

I always ask you questions ... if you have one for me, you can ask it anonymously here!
I will post another Q and A one of these days.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you can upload pics again!! Love the french toast sundae idea-it's awesome!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

What is it about suddenly feeling better after you finally go to the doc???? Now that's the way to have a BBQ! I'll be up and at 'em early tomorrow too (thought not quite that early). Have a safe trip and lick to the hubby.

BusyB said...

okay besides LOVing YOUR backyard SET UP! I have to say you are making me hungry!!!!
Luv to BBQ! and that SUNDAE YUMMMMM!!!!

Cheers!
tomorrow last day for giveaway! JEWELRY!!!

winkingannie said...

1. Your backyard is awesome.
2. Donna Hay has a magazine? I love her cookbooks!

Kacy said...

The BBQ looks like it was a huge success!

I'm glad your foot is feeling better :)

Biggest fitness success was definitely my Half Marathon - otherwise I'm not sure. Graduating college I guess... not too exciting.

Amber said...

I have been DROOLING over that french toast breakfast since I saw it yesterday! I am TOTALLY making that this weekend!!

Simply Life said...

oh your backyard is beautiful and what delicious food!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

The sundae bar looks AMAZING! Once again, I totally need to crash one of your dinner parties one of these days!

kalin said...

this weekend we have to work on our yard! it's looking nowhere near as pretty as yours :-)

~ Diana ~ said...

i seriously would love to go to one of your parties!! So fun and such a variety of eats! Good luck to your hubby this weekend! I'll be working this saturday and Glenn is coming back into town on Sunday!

Your best advice said...

the desert looks so good!

Anonymous said...

your yard is lovely and your eats are AMAZING, as always! a sundae bar sounds so fun too!

Heather said...

What a great idea for a sundae bar - I'm jealous!!

The 2 marathons I ran this year are my biggest fitness successes - that and being a group fitness instructor and helping other achieve their fitness goals!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

Your barbecue looks amazing and your backyard is gorgeous!!

I need to eat that french toast....soon!!

eatmovelove said...

GOOD LUCK JOLENE'S HUBBY!!! Calgary is awesome. Have fun!!

Yes, technology sucks.

And God - whenever I hit up Potlucks or BBQ's - it's a free for all ...then again it's always that way even at my own place....

Devan said...

you always take the best foodie photos

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Wow! I want to be invited to one of your BBQs!!

Jocelyn said...

mmm the food for your bbq looks soooo good!
GOod luck to the hubs!! Have a great weekend!