Thursday, July 22, 2010

Brought to you by the letter B ...


B


agel for breakfast this morning:



Big salad for lunch:





Bit of lemon loaf for a snack:



Brew featured dinner:



Root Beer Glazed Ribs

About 12 ribs (enough for 2)
2 T brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/2 cup root beer

Boil the ribs for 1/2 an hour. Remove. Mix brown sugar, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and root beer together. Put half on the ribs and cook at 350 for about 30 minutes. Add the rest of the sauce and cook another 15.

Root Beer Baked Beans
(adapted from BonAppetit)

3 slices bacon (chopped)
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 cans white kidney beans
1/2 cup root beer
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T molasses
3/4 tsp tomato paste
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder

Cook bacon in deep pan or in a pot. Once cooked remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion and garlic and cook about 8 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Transfer to oven and bake uncovered 350 for 45 minutes.





Banana rhubarb bake for dessert (I forgot to mention that I also bought rhubarb at the farmer's market yesterday).

Banana Rhubarb Bake

1 cup diced rhubarb
1 T sugar
1 tsp flour

Mix together and divide into 2 greased ramekins. Bake @ 350 for about 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and top each with 1/2 a banana, sliced.

Mix: 1/4 cup oats, 2 T flour, 1 T brown sugar, 1 T sugar, pinch cinnamon, 2 T butter (use fingers to mix and press ingredients into butter). Crumble over the bananas. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes @ 350.

Before and Afters:









Baking or cooking with pop ... have you ever done it?


14 comments:

Unknown said...

I use sprite/7 up for onions!! YUM!!!

Becca said...

Gah! All of this food looks VERY dangerous.. I scrolled fast, hoping I would be tempted.

Anonymous said...

I call it SODA :) ANyways, no i haven't but I'm dying to use soda when baking cakes!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of root beer baked beans....they sound fantastic! I've baked cakes with diet soda before and I've had great results!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

I've never cooked/baked with soda. Funny that you posted baked beans - my husband has been hounding me the past couple of days about finding some healthy, vegan recipes for comfort foods like baked beans and mac n' cheese. Not sure where it's coming from, but the man wants beans and mac n cheese.

Kat said...

Omg everything looks so great! I have never tried Rhubarb, but your dessert looks and sounds fabulous. I have made diet soda cake, which was actually really good. Very simple, and all my friends wanted the recipe too!

Kacy said...

I've made beer bread before. Good stuff!

Amber said...

I haven't, nope. But I'm definitely going to try making those baked beans! That sounds goood!

Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

I have made pulled pork using coke, but that's about it! I'm loving this ribs recipe!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

what a great looking dessert!! you're making me hungry!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've had rootbeer ribs before! So good!

Heather said...

I'll make cupcakes using a can of diet pop and a box of cake mix - it's actually not too bad if you're baking for some friends watching what they're eating and still want something sweet!

Angela (the diet book junkie) said...

that rhubarb crumble looks awesome! give me anything oats, granola, cereal, and i'm a happy camper :)

Kelsey Ann said...

isnt that root beer yummy!! love that stuff. this is such a tasty post!! banana rhubarb bake looks insanely delicious. and the bagel is exactly what i want right now. hmm definitely would love to try cooking or baking with pop!!

xoxo