Sunday, October 20, 2013

Shu Raku, Vancouver

On Saturday evening in Vancouver we were in the mood for seafood.  We randomly chose a restaurant, and ended up at Shu Raku.  The lighting was terrible for food photography (I don't use flash), but I took a few shots.


To drink we had sake, of course.  It was the best sake I have ever had - very smooth, and made in Vancouver.


We shared two appetizers, including tempura:


And, one of the best things I've ever eaten, salmon tartar.


The tartar was served with seaweed "chips" which had tempura batter on one side.  The crispiness of the chips with the softness of the tartar was incredible.  Christopher's main course was sashimi five ways, and mine was ramen noodles with pork.


We assumed that the shrimp heads were just for decoration, but the server came by and asked Christopher if he was going to eat them, and offered to deep fry them.  Once deep fried they were similar to chips.  I tried a leg, and Christopher ate the rest, but couldn't eat their little faces/eyes.


Would you have eaten the eyes?  What is the "weirdest" thing you've eaten?  How was your weekend?  What did you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never eaten the eyes - that would freak me out! I don't think I'm that adventurous of an eater, but that also needs to change! haha My weekend was good - a combo of busy and relaxing.