Thursday, October 3, 2013

Lamb Shawarma

On Monday evening we were feeling ambitious, and tackled a multi step recipe for shawarma that I saw in my Fine Cooking magazine.  


This recipe took a while to make and we followed it exactly. You can find the full recipe here.  Most of the ingredients are easy to find, or things that you'll have on hand, except the pomegranate molasses, which is an integral part of the dish.  Luckily, we randomly had pomegranate molasses in the cupboard; I got it in this food box back in March.  Nice!

We made pickled cabbage and dough on Sunday evening.  On Monday we seared, then braised a rack of lamb:


We also made yufka (Turkish flatbread) by rolling the dough very thinly and cooking it in a touch of oil.


Lastly, we made a tahini/Greek yogurt based sauce.  And we snacked on veggies with hummus because it seemed like the right thing to do ...


We assembled the shawarma, rolled them up, and then grilled them on one side to make them slightly crisp.


These were really tasty, but they were a lot of work, and we decided that if we wanted shawarma again, we'd probably just go to Regina Kebab House, because it's that good.


Do you like shawarma?  Have you made it before?

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, those do look like a lot of work! I have never had them because I can't have them due to the wrap, but I am sure I would love them! That is an ambitious thing to tackle on a week night! I am impressed!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

I've never had it or made it before but it looks good!! I know there is a place here that makes kebabs and sometimes we grab them and their flatbread and make the rest of the stuff at home!!! :)