Monday, February 1, 2010

A Quick and Easy Chicken Dinner

P


hew - Monday, down. Always the roughest day of the week! I had a great weekend and it was hard to get up this morning and get to work, but once I was there, I had a really good day.

I forgot to tell you about a couple things that I ate yesterday:

- A grapefruit and cheese string in the evening



- A few crackers and some goat cheese in the afternoon



Breakfast this morning was a green monster (2 cups steamed spinach, 1 cup unsweetened almond breeze, 1 tsp chia seeds, 1 scoop amazing grass, 1 banana, 1 T almond butter):



This smoothie kept me full all morning.

Lunch was leftover roast beef and potatoes/ veggies, a spring roll (left from Friday's potluck), and orange and a cheese stick:







I coached b-ball after work and didn't get home until 5:30. I needed something quick and easy for dinner, so I made one of the hubby's favourite easy dishes - Chicken and Mushroom Rice. I didn't have the chicken thawed so I just thawed it in the microwave and threw this dish together in about 5 minutes.

Chicken and Mushroom Rice

Toss all of the following ingredients into a casserole dish:

- 1 cup water
- 3/4 raw long grain white rice (or basmati)
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/4 t pepper
- garlic powder
- whole raw skinless chicken thighs (I used 4)

Cover with a lid, and cook in the oven 45 minutes at 375.








Since I didn't have any produce with dinner, my snack tonight was very vitamin rich :-)

I juiced:

- 2 carrots
- 1 red pepper
- 1 apple
- 1 orange





This juice was good, but not the best one I have made. It was too sweet for me. I prefer a more tart drink (something with a grapefruit in it).

So I also had a grapefruit.



I sprinkled some of the Stevia that NuNaturals sent me on top:



I eat a LOT of citrus fruit in the winter. It helps me to stay hydrated, and to fight off cold and flu bugs. Grapefruits and oranges are two of my most favourite fruits!

If I am not getting enough fruits and vegetables I notice and try and make up for it the next day.

I think I did pretty good today with:

- 1 large banana (2 servings)
- 2 cups spinach (2 servings)
- 1 scoop amazing grass (at least 1, probably more)
- orange (1 serving)
- juice (2 servings)
- grapefruit (1 serving)

Total: 9 servings of fruit/ veggies!

Are you conscious of how many fruits and veggies you eat in a day? Do you have a number you aim for, or is it just random?

I never count how much protein I am consuming, or carbs or fat, etc., but I always count my fruits and veggies!




7 comments:

Simply Life said...

I love your citrus juice - what a fun color!

Anonymous said...

after having oats for breakfast, I try to have at least one fruit or one veggies with each snack/meal for the rest of the day! Doesn't always work out but I try!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness-I made the chicken dinner over the weekend and am posting it on the blog tomorrow. I haven't tried it yet, but we'll see how it tastes!

Kacy said...

I used to love chicken and rice like that. Looks so good! I usually eat a lot of fruits/veggies unless I'm running low on groceries. I love them!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

I am a fruit and veggie fiend! It gets hard when I travel because I am always craving an apple or carrots or something!

Amber said...

I try to have a serving of fruits and/or veggies with EVERY snack/meal! But I don't count them all the time!

I really want to start juicing. I wonder if my Magic Bullet would work for juicing or if it's not powerful enough!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

That chicken dinner looks so incredibly comforting!
And wow, that's a lot of fruits and veggies! Good! I don't count it persay, but i keep it in the back of my mind. i try to have as much fruits and veggies with my meals as I can and it's becoming second nature.