Saturday, February 13, 2010

Product Review and Irish Theme Dinner

Navitas Naturals sent me some products to try, and I was especially excited to receive this product:



It is a 100% Pure Hemp - Cacao - Maca Super Food Blend. All three ingredients are certified organic, kosher, vegan and raw. The mix is high in protein, omegas, and antioxidents. The maca benefits the endocrine system to help energize and nourish.

15 g of the powder has only 60 calories,1 gram of sugar, and 6 grams of protein.

For breakfast yesterday I mixed about 30 grams with a cup of Almond Breeze and a banana:





It looked like a chocolate shake, and had the texture of a smooth shake, with NO grainy texture at all. This powder does not have a strong flavour as I could mostly just taste the banana, with a very faint chocolate taste. I have tried other protein powders, and they ALWAYS have a strong, gross taste. This didn't have that at all. It was so mild that it could be mixed in with anything, or sprinkled on yogurt, etc..

The smoothie I had for breakfast yesterday kept me full for SO long! I don't know if it was because I was busy cooking, or what it was, but I didn't eat anything else all day unti supper! Not healthy, but I ate enough at supper to make up for it!

I am going to use it in my green monsters from now on for an extra protein kick!

Have you ever tried any Navitas Naturals products?

If you don't know about the company, here is some info for you from their website:

"The “Navitas” in our name is the Latin word for energy.

And like our name implies, our mission is to provide premium organic functional foods that increase energy and enhance health. Part of this effort is to continually search for the world’s most beneficial natural foods. Navitas Naturals is a certified organic, green business headquartered in Marin County, California.

We specialize in organic and wild-crafted functional foods, and strive to lead the industry in this expanding market. Health conscious consumers choose our nutrient-rich products because they are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Our premium quality “superfoods” are always free of additives and trans fats; the absence of these elements speaking to the purity and effectiveness of the products.

Our company is committed to socially and environmentally responsible business practices. We source our premium functional foods through direct partnerships with farming communities around the world. An essential part of our mission is to create economic opportunities among indigenous people in developing countries, and our support of native agriculture helps expand development of global organic farming practices."


I spent the day cooking yesterday for an Irish themed dinner party with friends. Each course was paired with a different Irish beer:







The amuse bouche was goat cheese on a homemade apple pear chutney:



The first course was an assortment of Irish cheeses and breads. I made 3 different breads: brown soda bread, Irish soda bread, and beer bread:







Next was a salad with an Irish cider dressing:



Murphey's Onion Soup:



Medival Stout Stew:



And a mocha chocolate souffle with whisky sauce:



Paired with a Guinness of course :-)



Mocha Chocolate Souffle with Whiskey Sauce
(Source: The Irish Spirit Cookbook)

Souffles:
- 2 T ground almonds
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 2 t flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated

Sauce:
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 T Whiskey

To make the Souffles: Preheat the oven to 375. Butter 6 eight ounce ramekins and dust with the ground almonds, shaking out the excess.

Melt the chocolate and add the coffee. Stir in the flour, 2 T of the sugar, and the egg yolks.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the other 2 T of sugar. Beat until firm peaks form. Fold into the chocolate mixture gently. Spoon into the ramekins. Bake 15-20 minutes.

To make the sauce: Heat the cream, add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the whisky. Spoon over the souffle.

Bon Appetit!


15 comments:

Jocelyn said...

drewel. I wish I could have been there for dinner :D:D

misssarahlou said...

Wow - amazing looking feast you had there! :o)

Bec said...

wow your dinner looks fantastic! I love irish breads, what recipes did you use?

Kacy said...

That powder sounds great! And OMG that meal looks so amazing. All the bread looks heavenly!

erica said...

wow that food looks absolutely divine! I am getting so hungry just looking at it! Just found your blog and I am loving it!

Yelena said...

You are a wonderful host and everything you made looks so delicious!

Please send some of the mocha souffle- wow!

Simply Life said...

wow, I am SO impressed -everything looks amazing! I'm sure your guests left HAPPY!

Jenna said...

hey!
i just came across your blog and i can't wait to keep reading!
i would love it if you could check out mine and follow :)
jenna

Anais said...

I love Navitas products but I can't seem to find them here! The only one that I have found is the raw cacao nibs but I already have some...

That Irish themed dinner party looks AMAZING. Like seriously... woah. I am impressed. I may need to recreate this!!! Hope you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

i've never seen nativas products before but they sound great. WOW that chocolate souffle looks amazing!

Nicci said...

I think Navitas has good products too. I'll have to look for this powder. I don't use powders b/c they come out grainy. I'll have to try this one. thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling just looking at that onion soup and the chocolate souffle. OMG. looks sooooooo delicious. yum!

Anonymous said...

can I move to your town and be best friends with you?! The amount of detail you put into these delicious things is AMAZING. you are definitely a foodie!

Jenna said...

I looked up this post after receiving your comment on my blog. I may give that protein powder a try! Thanks for the info ;)

Navitas Zach said...

Thanks for the great post! We've featured you on our Navitas Naturals Facebook Fanpage. Just search Navitas Naturals to keep in touch! :)