Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fighting it Off

I



woke up this morning and felt the beginnings of a cold in my throat and head. I had to drag myself out of bed. I needed something to boost my immunity, so I had an immunity smoothie with a banana, TwisterPower Superfood Blend that Navitas Naturals sent me to try, some Amazing Grass, chia seeds, and Almond breeze:



It was a delicious, chocolaty elixir:



I felt okay throughout the day, but not 100%.

Lunch was leftover stew from my Irish dinner party:



As well as an orange and some cheese:





I picked up some homeopathic cold pills on the way home. They have worked for me in the past, so I am sticking with them.

Dinner was curried chicken, some brown rice with salsa, and 2 mini samosas.

Samosas are one of my most favourite foods.

Have you ever had a samosa?



I wanted some cold-busting vitamins for dessert, so I had an orange and a grapefruit:



I also had 3 of my valentine's chocolates and a mini KitKat.

I am going to bed early to try and outsmart this silly cold. You can't get me coldy, no, no, no.

What is the first thing you do when you feel a cold trying to get you!!??

I usually:

1) Go to bed early
2) Take homeopathic cold pills
3) Take vitamin C and D
4) Load up on citrus and other healthy foods
5) Gargle with salt water

I have kept 2 or 3 colds at bay already this winter with those 5 things, and have not developed a cough yet this winter (which is a first for me I think).



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

samosas are AHMAZING. I can eat a ton of them! So good! I usually go to bed EARLLYYY and start drinking tea and hydrating myself!

Simply Life said...

I LOOOVE samosas from this delicious Indian restaurant we've been to a couple times - one of my absolute favorite things to eat!

Anonymous said...

The first thing I do is pump up the vitamin C.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

I love samosas... I got one once frm the little road side stand in the middle of nowhere once... it was the best thing I have ever eaten, ever!! YUM!

Feel better girl!

Eat some raw garlic! - I always eat it with a pickle...weird but it seems to work!

Kacy said...

I have never had samosas, but bet I'd like them!

Hope you feel better today!

Anais said...

I hope it goes away!

The first thing I do is say "Ah crap!!!". Then for a bit I'll pretend it's not happening... and then I'll have tea and lots of fruits and veggies lol :) And definitely go to bed early!

ps: I adooore samosas!

Lele said...

I love spicy food when I'm fighting off a cold. Indian definitely qualifies! I love Indian even when I'm not fighting a cold :D

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

I have never had a samosa! Darn :(
I have a cold right now actually. When I feel one coming I usually rest, increase water, and get plenty of sleep!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said...

How have I never had a samosa? I'm missing out. Mini kitkats are another story, though...

Crystal said...

Samosas are delicious! My dad used to make them for my family when we were younger. He'd make a huge batch, so all we had to do was pop them out of the freezer and heat up in the toaster oven. So delicious! :)

When I think I am getting a cold, I make a blended carrot soup (I'll type out the recipe below!), OD on herbal teas with honey, and go to bed early. If I'm stuffed up, then I will drink some NeoCitran before bed. The best way for me to recover is to just sleep it off!

1 diced/chopped onion
2-3 medium carrots, chopped
1/3 cup of uncooked rice
as much garlic as you'd like
chicken/veggie broth
salt and pepper

Cook the onion in the bottom of the pot with a bit of butter, margerine, oil, or whatever you'd like. Add in the carrots, rice, and broth and bring to a simmer. Once the carrots are cooked and the rice is done, add the raw garlic. I usually add it last to keep the nutrition up. Blend it all together with an immersion blender and salt and pepper to taste.

It is a very basic recipe, but also easy on the wallet.