Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Valentine's Day


It was so nice to have the day off today! It is family day in Saskatchewan. The hubby and I spent the day celebrating valentine's day, since we had a "family" day yesterday.

Last night was my father-in-laws birthday dinner. We had a very German meal with potatoes, perogies, sausage, and creamed corn:







My favourite part was the perogies, which I topped with sour cream:



For b-day cake we had cheese cake. I had a sliver.



This morning the hubby got up earlier than me and made buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. They were wonderful. I dipped mine in some syrup and had a pear on the side:





He also gave me the most wonderful chocolates in the world - Bernard Callebaut chocolates. If you are EVER in Canada, or in one of the two states that sells these chocolates you need to try them. They are uber expensive, but they are seriously the most divine chocolates I have ever tasted.



I ate about 3 yesterday, and like 6 today. I am hooked. The texture blows me away. Hard and crisp on the outside, but soft and creamy on the inside. They taste SO fresh, and so pure. All the ingredients are TOP quality.

The hubby also bought me tickets to see "Tuesday's with Morrie" at the live theater. We are going on Saturday afternoon.

We were out grocery shopping this afternoon and picked up a sandwich from the deli at Safeway for lunch. I had the Italian Garden sandwich with provolone cheese, artichoke hearts, and other veggies:



After lunch I made a cup of tea, had a bath in epsom salts and read a magazine. It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. I tried this tea that Navitas Naturals sent me:



The aftertaste was JUST like the aftertaste you get after eating a piece of chocolate. It was excellent. I would definitely buy this tea.



I made the quintesential romantic dinner for tonight - spaghetti and meatballs.

We started with a goat cheese and mixed green salad with fig balsamic dressing:



And then we had some of this wine that our dear friends Jeff and Alaina gave us:





The wine and food were delicious. What a great night!



I had a wonderful 5 day weekend, and am actually feeling good about going back to work tomorrow. I feel relaxed and refreshed.

How was your weekend? What was the highlight?

14 comments:

Yelena said...

Aww, did you share the spaghetti? Looks like a lovely dinner.

I had a wonderful weekend and do feel refreshed. I try to maintain a positive attitude, so we'll see how it goes!

I notice you eat pierogies and stuffed cabbage sometimes. Is your family Eastern European?

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said...

Wow, all of your meals look to-die-for. Especially the pierogies and the pancakes!! I dip my pancakes in syrup too! I find that if I just pour it on, the pancakes just absorb the syrup right away and then I can't really taste it.
Looks like you had a fantastic weekend, I hope the rest of the week goes as well!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

if you need help eating your box of chocolates, holla, I'm here to help :) they look great!

Anonymous said...

You had a great weekend of foods! chocolate tea? I want to try! BTW i saw perogies at the supermarket and I thought of you!

Katie said...

Wow I love perogies!! Have not had them in years, my mom used to make them alot growing up!!!

Yes granola with a green monster is so yum!! I like a crunch with my smoothies!!

erica said...

The German food looks delish! Yummy cheesecake! I think everyone had pancakes this weekend! Glad to hear you had a fabulous long weekend!

Simply Life said...

oh that chocolate does look amazing!

Danielle (Coffee Run) said...

It sounds like you had a great V Day :) Those chocolates sound really good

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a great Valentine's Day!

Kacy said...

Your perogies always give me a craving! Yum!

Those chocolates sound to die for. I'm glad you and the hubby had a great V-day :)

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair said...

YUM! I love those "german" meals with the perogies, potatoes and sausage. SO GOOD!!!

Yelena said...

I'm such an airhead- German- I get it now!!

I tried noni by itself and it was nasty! This one had pom and acai in it, so it was more tolerable!

Anonymous said...

mmm that cheesecake and the box of chocolates both look yummy!
my whole weekend was amazing!

Anais said...

Oh boy those pierogies look out of this world!!!!

I don't think I've ever heard of those chocolates but I'll be on the look-out for them! The best chocolate I've EVER had by a longshot are from this "confiserie" close to Geneva called Tristan. It's dangerous how good they are! And they're also crazily expensive...