Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zabar's + Chelsea Market = Reason enough to move to Manhattan

Wandering around Zabar's and Chelsea Market made me realize one thing ...

My dinner parties would be so much cooler if only I lived in New York.

If you haven't heard of Zabar's it is a gourmet food market, and kitchen tools/gadget store, as well as a deli/coffee shop.  Over 35,000 people per week visit Zabar's, and for good reason.  The olive and cheese sections alone (pictures only show part of the wonder) blow my mind.


Also, like all groceries seem to be in the US, the cheese is insanely CHEAP!  We picked up a couple blocks to try, along with some crackers and meat, and went to central park to people watch and snack.


The sun was shining all week in NY (with the exception of Thursday), and on this particular day, it felt like a hot summer day.  I think I even got a bit of a tan.


Chelsea Market is another foodie paradise. The bottom floor is a food court/ food mall, and the higher floors have offices for companies such as The Food Network, and Google.  Iron Chef America is filmed in Chelsea Market, as well Emeril Live, and other shows.


Does your city have good food markets, and kitchen gadget stores?

My city is not really a "foodie" city. I would kill for my city to get a Sur La Table, but I would even settle for William's Sonoma.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I want to move to NYC...hmmm...there are a few stores here, but they're mostly downtown and further from where I live. Would be nice to be in walking distance!...then again, no - because my wallet can't afford it!

How long is your trip? I want to drive to NY one day...are hotels expensive? Is it hard to get around?

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Baking and Books,

We got home yesterday :-) Our trip was a week long, and I am just finishing up with some posts about NY. The hotels aren't bad, but I booked with expedia (flight and hotel together) and I think we got a deal. It was about 1500 per person for a week, with both flight and hotel.

It is SO easy to get around. Manhattan is TINY, and you can walk everywhere, or take the Subway, which is also SUPER easy. We would go all across town on the subway on a fro yo whim :-) It is the greatest!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Our city is decent when it comes to food markets. I thought ours were good until I went to Paris. That set a new bar...

We have decent food gadget stores, though. A couple of William Sonomas, a Sur la Table, and a couple other local stores that are great!

kristine said...

Ah we soooo need to make Sask. more foodie friendly! Hmmmm

Averie said...

the market looks awesome! both of them.

and love the shot of you where you said you maybe got tan :)

i have so many kitchen stores, W Sonoma, Sur la Table, specialty stores, etc...more stores than i have money :)

Anonymous said...

I would kill for a William's Sonoma too... I bought cute new pastel-colored spatulas for Spring while in SF! I'm definitely not in a foodie city either, but I am surrounded by orchards and farmer's markets so that more than makes up for it!

Emily said...

Yay! I love posts about New York.

I want to go that first store! Maybe if I ever go back to New York I'll go there.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

T'd give anything to visit there!!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

awwwwwwwwwh how awesome!! And that is cheap cheese!!

We have nothing here.. I DIE when I go to Granville Island in Vancouver, as their market is AMAZING!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Moose Jaw isn't the most foodie friendly place...

Kacy said...

My current city doesn't have good food markets, but when I move to DC there will be tons!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

Those are some great shots of you and your husband!

Losing in the City said...

my city has amazing food markets as you had the pleasure of enjoying :-) .. so glad you had a great time here..

Anonymous said...

Love the pics of you! My city has some cool market finds but I think they are a little pricey.

Anonymous said...

gahhh getting so excited about going in a few days!! I hope my wedding doesn't get in the way of me eating!! so happy you went to a couple of places I loved!