Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Random Ramblings and Red Soup

I added chia seeds to my oats when cooking them the last couple of days.  
If you are unfamiliar with the health benefits of chia seeds, check here.


Last night I started a 5k training plan.  I enjoyed running outside, with no coat in the 10 C (50 F) weather.  When it gets much warmer than this, I have a hard time staying hydrated and not overheating.

What is your perfect temperature for running outside?

I ate a vegetarian Mexican "lasagna" before leaving for my run (from Looney Spoons cookbook), and I re-hydrated with a fresh juice when I got home.

 

This evening we had a red soup made with beets and red peppers.

Sweet Red Pepper and Beet Soup
(Slightly adapted from: Power Foods Cookbook)

1 T olive oil
2 shallots, coarsley chopped
3 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed, cut into bite size pieces)
2 red beets (approx. 1 pound) trimmed, peeled, and cubed
1 cup water
3.5 cups veggie or chicken stock (reduced sodium)
Juice from 1 lemon
Fresh ground S&P
Fresh goat cheese for crumbling on top

Heat oil over med. heat.  Cook shallots, stirring occasionally, until translucent (about 4 minutes).  Add bell peppers and beets and stir.  Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and reduce to simmer.  Cook until beets are very tender (about 1 hour).

Let cool slightly.  Stir in lemon juice, 1 tsp fresh ground salt, and pepper to taste.  Puree soup.  Sprinkle with goat cheese before serving.


This soup is intended to be served cold ... but that just sounds narsty to me.  I served it hot.

Have you ever had cold soup?  Could you stomach it?

I like my food to be HOT, unless it is salad, or something that is usually served cold.

19 comments:

Yelena said...

Your red soup looks really good and I would probably serve it hot too! I have had gaspacho before and that was cold but I usually like my food to remain hot- unless it's pizza then all bets are off!

Anonymous said...

Adding the tabs wasn't hard... it's keeping them up-to-date that does me in!!

And good for you - I don't think I could eat cold soup either!

Averie said...

cold soup is trendy in raw food circles but im with you...narsty. Love that word :)

Anonymous said...

i have had it once but as a preappetizer at some fancy restaurant...made me feel "huh?"...no words. I'm not sophisticated enough. 5k training again!! :) Good luck my dear! Run in central park!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I do not 'get' cold soup. It sounds incredibly unappealing to me. So I would serve it warm too. And that soup sounds awesome!! Yum! i adore soups! And sadly, we have soup weather in the forecast as we might get snow showers this weekend? What? Not happy about this...

My ideal running temp is around 40-50 degrees. Anything above 60 starts to feel uncomfortable. And then add in humidity and bleh. Bring on the gatorade for those runs!

Kacy said...

I've had a few cold soups before, but I think I prefer them hot. Beet soup sounds good!

Allysia said...

I actually quite love cold soups. :) It depends, though, because I strongly dislike soups that are cooked and then chilled. But a blended avocado with some tomatoes and herbs is my idea of yum!

winkingannie said...

I like cold gazpacho, especially if it's 90* outside and there is no air conditioning. Then its lovely. :)

Missy said...

No cold soup for me....
I don't know why it is so unappealing, but it is!

However mist things I can do cold or hot.

Faith @ lovelyascharged said...

I definitely wouldn't be down for a cold soup. Sure, I'd try a bite...but then I'm sure it would go straight into the microwave! Cold runs, on the other hand...love 'em!

Amber said...

I love adding chia seeds to my oats, makes them so fluffy!

I like running in 10 - 15 C weather. Spring and Fall are definitely the ideal running seasons for me!

Beloved Green said...

I cannot have cold soup, it just feels off to me. I will reheat if it cools off.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

cold soup just feels weird and wrong to me.

Tracy Simmons said...

I have never tried cold soup, but would be open to giving it a try!

Unknown said...

Ugh cold soup?! I could never. The soup looks great though and I can definately imagine eating it hot!

Emily said...

Vegetarian Mexican lasagna? I think I need to make that! It looks great.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

haha I read that wrong and thought you put chicken bullion in your juice! I must be tired!!

I like cold soup, on hot days! I never thought I would but when I did my raw foods course, it got me super into them!

Anonymous said...

That lasagna looks so good!! How do you run AFTER eating that?! I'd be lying on the couch....;)

Anonymous said...

I used to make that Mexican lasagna ALL THE TIME! I haven't made it in what seems like forever - not sure why, though...