Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Barley Risotto

This evening I made barley risotto loaded with green veggies.  
I served it with steel head trout, my new favourite fish.

 

Barley Risotto with Veggies
(Prep time: 15 min.  Cook time: 25-30 min).

 2 T olive oil
1 leek (white and light green parts; thinly sliced)
1 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups water
2 cups low sodium chicken/veggie stock
1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
salt and pepper (fresh ground)
1 bunch asparagus (chopped)
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated parmigiano regiano

Heat the oil and add leeks.  Saute a couple of minutes, then add the barley and stir for about 4 minutes on medium heat.  Add the wine, and stir until evaporated/absorbed.  Add the water and bring to a boil.  Add hot pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste.  Once most of the water has absorbed add the chicken stock, asparagus and peas.  Cook and stir until creamy and barley is tender.  Stir in cheese before serving.

 
Do you like barley? 
 Have you ever cooked with it?  What did you make?  

17 comments:

Kacy said...

That looks awesome, I'd love to try that fish!

A CopyCat Cooks said...

beef barley soup of course! My son also preferred barley or a mixed cereal over the rice as a babe!!

Unknown said...

I have never ever cooked with barley but I am very intrigued by it. That fish looks AMAZING! What spices did you put on it?

Anonymous said...

I've never tried barley... actually I've only tried risotto once... but I love ingredients you used and I'm bookmarking this one for sure!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I almost made risotto today too! Must be on the minds of many...

Joyti said...

I actually have never cooked with barley. I generally have liked it in other things though (i.e. salad)...I'd imagine a barley risotto is delicious.

Simply Life said...

I love barley but have only used it in soups and with burritos - this is a great new idea!

Anonymous said...

Looks delish! I've never made barely before. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for!

Steph said...

I just made barley for the first time yesterday and I loved it!!! I mixed some into a salad that I made with roasted golden beets, and then today I had some barley with roasted yellow peppers and basil. To DIE for.

I love fish so this recipe is right up my alley :D I'll try it sometime and be sure to link back to you.

(My blog is www.snackingonsunshine.com, for the record. Stop by! :))

Missy said...

I've only ever had it in soup buit it seems perfect for making risotto. Good call!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

The only barley I've had in beef barley soup - and that was ages ago! It seems to be a trendier grain these days as I see it popping up in recipes in the blogosphere!

Once again, uber impressed w/ your mid-week meal. Can I come and live with you? Ha. ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Looks good!!

I don't cook with barley often enough!! Must do it more!!

sophia said...

I LOVE barley!!
Jolene, you will LOVE barley as bibimbap. It's the original, traditional Cheonju bibimbap to make it with barley. (I'm from Cheonju btw, NOT Seoul).

Anonymous said...

Never tried risotto! Is it like rice?

Trout...drool...we used to catch trout in little ponds when we were younger to fry and eat. ...with fishing rods - NOT our hands lol :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

Love barley, but haven't had it forever!!! Asparagus owns my heart right now...so fresh and tasty :)

xxoo

Tasha @ Voracious said...

I adore barley! I love to use it in soups (Irish lamb and barley stew is a favorite) because it soaks up all the flavor and adds such an incredible texture.

I also cook up big batches of barley and veggies to feed to my dogs. They love it too!

Olivia said...

Mmmmm omg that looks so good! I don't think I've ever had that kind of trout before but just based on your picture it looks incredible! I'm a fishaholic:)