Thursday, April 28, 2011

Food in Manhattan


Vegan Fare at Cafe Blossom on New Yorks Upper West Side:

Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
Pink Lady Juice - We watched as the bartender juiced beet, pear, ginger and pineapple.  


Vegan Chocolate Cake.  The hubby said this was one of the best cakes he has ever eaten.
The hubby's meal at Cafe Blossom was one of the best sandwiches I have ever tasted.  It was the Southern Seitan Sandwich with spiced breaded seitan, caramelized onion, avocado and chipotle aioli on rosemary focaccia.

Thai Food at Pongsri:


The hubby had the green curry and I had tom yum soup.

Eggs Benedict at Pastis:



Frozen Yogurt at 16 Handles:


This place is really cool because there are 16 different flavours of self-serve frozen yogurt and plenty of toppings.  I tried the plain flavour (which is very tart), birthday cake and New York cheesecake.  Each flavour actually tasted like the name described it, but I liked the plain stuff the best.

Miniature cupcakes from Baked by Melissa (the hubby and I shared, one bite each):


Lunch at The Green Table in Chelsea Market:


 On Tuesday evening we ate at PDT (Please Don't Tell) a cool little windowless, hidden restaurant, with no sign, that you can only access through a fake phone booth in a little hot dog shop.  You walk into the hot dog shop, go inside the phone booth and dial 1.  All of a sudden a hidden door in the phone booth opens (I didn't even realize that the side of the phone booth was a false wall) and the server asks if she can help you.  There is typically a wait, because the place is tiny and the drinks are fancy, so the server takes your cell number and calls when a table is available. 


We each ate a Wylie Dog (Deep fried Crif Dog with deep fried mayo, tomato molasses, shredded lettuce and dried onions) and we shared some torres tots.


We also had pretty amazing cookies from Levain Bakery 


I got the double chocolate and the hubby got oatmeal raisin. 


Check this out ... 

 

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
The hubby's was pretty decent too.

 

Which cookie is more your style, the double chocolate or the oatmeal raisin?

14 comments:

Simply Life said...

ha, my husband and I are HORRIBLE at shopping (which is good because we save a lot of money but as I type this I'm wearing pants from high school which probably isn't always good) but we're definitely good as this part - the FOOD! Looks like a great trip!

Kacy said...

My mouth is officially watering!!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

What a great trip! That hidden restaurant sounds absolutely incredible! How did you find out about it?
:)

Unknown said...

I kinda want to go there just for the food!!

Those cookies look amazing - although they are pretty sugar rush/crash looking too, but still drool worthy!

Losing in the City said...

double chocolate for sure..i love baked my melissa, they have the best cupcakes..

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Definitely double chocolate!

YOu have eaten a lot of FABULOUS food! Yum!

Anonymous said...

The Please Don't Tell restaurant sounds so cute! I'm a double chocolate cookie kind of girl :)

sophia said...

Everything looks WONDERFUL, Jolene! You clearly are having a fantastic time. My favorite is definitely that runny benedict! Mm...

I don't like chocolate flavored stuff so oatmeal for me! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think I would have gone for the oatmeal raisin! But more than anything, I want a bite of that spaghetti squash!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for the vegan/health food trend to drip down the coast; we don't have any of this fare! It looks so good

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Vanessa - I found out about the hidden restaurant from my cousin who lived in NY for a while.

Emily said...

Uh. SO jealous!

I really liked their oatmeal raisin cookies.

Stephanie said...

Just stumbled across your blog and had to comment on that double chocolate cookie. Wow! It's breakfast time where I am right now but I'd put that in my face in a heartbeat.

Love the restaurants you guys went to. Trying out new places is so fantastic! What a great trip you had.

lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) said...

I would LOVE a bite of that vegan chocolate cake please!!!

I would have to go with Double chocolate... hands down!! My husband, however, would choose oatmeal raisin!