In an effort to make my mornings more productive and less rushed I got up 1/2 hour earlier today. If felt really good to be able to slow down in the morning.
But, for an early morning there is nothing better than ...
Java Jolt Oats
1/2 cup of quick oats
1/4 cup Starbucks Chai Tea Mix
1 Pack Starbucks instant coffee
3/4 cup water
Bring liquid and coffee to a boil on stove. Add oats. Cook 1 minute.
Cover and remove from heat.
Stir in 1 T Dark Chocolate Dream PB and top with strawberries.
If these don't wake you up, I don't know what will!
Lunch was a little less caffeinated.
I had 2 slices of veggie pizza (no crusts), 1 pack of edamame beans, and an orange.
Dinner was incredible! I made "John's Tortilla Soup" from THIS RECIPE on Madeline's Blog. I couldn't find hominy so I took Madeline's suggestion and substituted with pinto beans. I also just used 1 large chicken breast, and I thought it was enough. The beans added extra bulk. It was excellent.
This was one of the best soups I have had in a while.
The lime flavour and cilantro make it perfect for summer!
I added obscene amounts of cilantro to mine
(Am I making some of you cringe? Alaina?)
It can be made without the cilantro. Although - that is an abomination. But, if you must.
Just don't tell me about it.
In my world there is no such thing as too much cilantro.
It is a miracle herb.
It makes everything it touches taste like AWESOME.
If awesome had a taste.
This soup was so good, I would order it in a restaurant. For sure.
I also had my favourite spinach salad with it.
I have been eating chia seeds for almost a year, and I always get questions about them. Here is some information about Chia seeds and why you should give them a try!!
Chia Seeds ...
- Have 3x more iron than spinach
- Swell up when added to liquid, helping to keep you full longer
- Have 3x more antioxidants than blueberries
- Balance your blood sugar
- Have more fiber than bran (5 grams per T)
- Are one of the highest plant based sources of protein (more than kidney beans!)
- Have 15x more magnesium than broccoli
- 6x more calcium than milk
- 7x more vitamin c than oranges
- Are a member of the mint family. They grow in both black and white colours, which are equally nutricious
- Don't need to be ground, are easily digested, and taste great as a topping on yogurt, oatmeal, in salads, smoothies, etc..
- Can replace an egg in baking! You can make a vegan "Egg" out of Chia seeds!!! - (3T water, 1 t chia seeds = 1 "egg")
- Keep in the cupboard for 2 years!!
- Can be used to grow chia pets :-)
My snack tonight featured my beloved Chia Seeds!!
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze
- 10 drops of vanilla liquid stevia (given to me by NuNaturals - thank you!)
- 1/2 T cacao
Mix the first 2 ingredients for 1 minute. Add the next two and stir for 1 minute until mixed well. Let sit in fridge for approx. 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
Is there anything "weird" that you eat that others ask about a lot?