Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mexican Haystacks


H


appy cinco de Mayo!

It's too bad that the 5th of May fell on a Wednesday this year. If it would have been on the weekend I would have had a Mexican fiesta! Today, I just felt like having a siesta.

I woke up to snow, and all day it was rainy, windy and ugly.

The other day I got so many great tips for running, and I haven't been able to go running due to this weather :-( There is NO way I will finish the 15 runs left in my C25K plan before my 5K on May 30th. I am going to have to just do what I can and hope for the best.

This morning I made some warm oats to take my mind of the snow outside.





Made with: 1/2 cup coffee, 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 1/2 cup quick oats, 1/2 a banana, 1 T almond butter, 1 t maple flakes, 1/2 t mini chocolate chips.

Lunch was 2 slices of ham, leftover rutabagas, 2 clementines, and 1/2 cup of yogurt with 1 T granola.



Dinner was one of my favourite meals from when I was a kid at summer camp. We always used to call this meal "Haystacks" because you literally stack everything up in a big pile. It is basically like a taco salad - but better.

When the hubby and I first got married and I made him these, he insisted that we have them once a week, EVERY week. I thought that they would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo.

Haystacks

Stack the following ingredients on a plate in this order, and then eat:

1) Cooked rice (I used brown - 1/2 cup)
2) Sprinkle of cheese (I used 2 T)
3) Taco beef (I used organic extra lean, browned, with an organic taco seasoning - 1/2 cup)
4) Chopped tomatoes
5) Salsa
6) A few taco chips crumbled on top

You can also add: lettuce, black olives (we always add them), and anything else you would like in a taco ... sour cream etc..

They are so easy to make, yet they please everyone who tries them! This was always the favourite meal of the kids at the summer camp I used to go to. We looked forward to them all week.









Nom, nom, nom!

This evening I had a small non-fat, decaf latte from Starbucks, and a glass of fresh juice (2 grapefruit, 1/3 cantaloupe, 1 red pepper). Grapefruit juice is divine with a pepper added in.



What would you put on your perfect haystack?

17 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

nothing like making something quick and simple that everyone eats up liek crazy! such satisfaction <3

im thinknig id make a haystack similar to yours. but i gotta make it extra spicy- yum! xoxo

Simply Life said...

snow!? Wow, I can believe it's still snowing there! Hopefully the sun comes out soon-

I would have tons of salsa, beans, rice and tomatoes! :)

Anonymous said...

I would add lots of hot sauce to my haystack. It's just like a bigger version of the stuff that falls out of my taco and I eat with a fork.

I wouldn't try making up any runs you have missed. Just do as many as you normally would in a week to avoid injury.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's still snowing there! CRAZY!!! Don't worry about the 5k! Worse comes to worse just walk/jog. Make it a fun event and don't race for time! You can do that next time! :) BTW send me photos of your wedding cake..I still don't believe it was a dq one.

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

Regarding the running, I'm sure it's totally frustrating that you've been stuck due to the weather. Just remember that none of us are usually able to follow our training plans exactly - life always has a way of getting in the way! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love your haystack! I would add black beans and more onions! yum!

Anonymous said...

I love the haystack idea! It looks perfect to me!

Kat said...

The haystack looks great!! I would def have to add avocado...I am so in love with it!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

Guacamole for sure

Kacy said...

You'll do great on the 5K. Don't worry too much about your training.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the haystack! It looks so satisfying and filling! Definitely a good meal for a full belly to go to bed on!

Kathryn said...

I have never heard of Mexican haystacks- they sound yummy! You should submit the recipe to Recipe4Living.com!

Kyle and Darci said...

love the idea of using rice for the haystacks! will have to try that out.

and snow on the 5th of May is just NOT right! ;)

Morgan said...

wow that dinner looks incredible!!! everything you included sounds amazing!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

YUM!! Almost like a taco salad but not. Delicious!
And don't worry about the 5k, I'm thinking you are still going to ROCK it ;)

sophia said...

Fun concept, that haystack! Though with my aversion to rice (though is it slowly dwindling), I'd use something different, like polenta or barley. And bacon must be involved, probably feta cheese, some grilled onions, kimchi, maybe some kind of dried fruit as well...yum!

eatmovelove said...

SNOW???!! Oh Canada indeed ;)
LOVE the haystacks...I'm a stacking a pizza...delivery style...I suck but whatever...