Monday, May 3, 2010

A Better Life

I came across a post on Dragos Roua entitled 100 Ways to Live a Better Life. I really liked this list, and I have picked out 5 that have really changed my life in the past 10 years, as well as 5 that I want to work on.

5 That Have Changed My Life

Avoid Fighting

Fighting is the biggest energy leak of your being. - I hate fighting and will try to avoid fighting with someone at all costs. I have learned over the years how to remain calm when upset, and it has helped me feel more at peace.

Forgive Someone out of the Blue

Don’t hold that grudge for that past insult. Grudges are heavy and tend to make the take off for a new life a little bit difficult. The longer you hold that grudge, the more difficult the take off will be. Forgiveness will lift you off. - I don't hold grudges, and I have no enemies. I also refuse to use the word "hate" when it comes to people. I have no problem forgiving and forgetting. This serves me well teaching grade 7/8s!

Don't Take it Personally, Ever

Never. Your world is shaped by your reaction to things, not by the things themselves. Don’t get upset, don’t think that somebody knows you enough to make right assumptions about you. Acknowledge and move on. - Another one that serves me well as a teacher! I know that in my life, people are going to talk about me, and not always good. So be it. I also know that sometimes people are snappy with me because they are having a bad day, and not because they don't like me. It is okay. I will kill them with kindness until it tortures them into not being snappy :-) Hehe.

Stop Complaining

Complaining is like an open invitation for troubles. The more you complain about something, the more of that something you invite into your life. Cut it out. You don’t get any comfort out of complaining, only troubles. - You will rarely hear me complain. I feel fortunate for what I have and although work can be tough some days, I love my job and am grateful that I have one. Same goes for my husband - you won't hear me complaining about him.

Being is Better than Having

Too much and too often we shape our life’s fulfillment degree to the amount we possess. The fundamental mistake. If you’re doing it, stop it right now. You’re not what you’re having. - The me that used to care about material objects died in high school. I don't care what brand of cell phone I have, or how big my TV is, or what kind of car I drive. What matters to me is LIVING and doing things, and being with people. Also - I am not impressed by other's material things. If I want an iphone, I will buy one. I don't. I am a believer in the "don't fix what ain't broke" mentality, and really hate to replace something that still works. As long as my car is still running well, I will be driving it. The more money I make DOES NOT equal the more things I will buy, bigger, better or whatnot ... but it DOES equal the more I will DO in my life in terms of education, travel, and social engagements.

5 Things I Need to Work On

Create A New Habit

We’re doing a lot of stuff on autopilot. Try to integrate in this category new things you want to attract into your life. Habits are powerful. Harness their energy for your own good. - Or break a bad one! I have a habit of running late, and procrastinating, etc. etc.. I would like to break these habits but also get into the habit of working out regularly, and picking up after myself (clothes)!


Learn to Take Risks

Your life may be so boring and fade because… err, you made it like this? When was the last time your tried something really difficult? When was the last time you challenged the odds doing something risky? Do it now. - I don't take a lot of risks, and I am afraid of change. I am doing a bit better over this past year, but it is very scary for me and I need to continue to take even more and bigger risks.


Wake up Early


This is not a habit, this is a lifestyle. Don’t just wake up early without a purpose. Be early. Be there before others. Look for opportunities and embrace them. Waking up early means keeping your eye open to every available opportunity. - I wish I had time in the morning to savour my cup of coffee and relax, move slowly, and just start the day out right. I start every workday morning moving fast, and rushing out the door. I hate it. This is very hard to change though, as I have never been a morning person. Over the summer I hope to make it a habit, by getting up early to bike, walk, or jog around the lake.

Throw away one Object a Day from Your House

Maybe your life is breathing so hard just because it’s suffocated by objects. Learn to let them go. You may donate them, give to charity or simply throw them away, but don’t let the clutter stay in your way. You’re not the objects you have. - You know how I mentioned that I don't like to replace things that aren't broken ... well I also don't like to toss things that aren't broken. I am going to try very hard with this one, but don't tell my hubby because he will get too excited ;-)

Live it Like a Holiday

Ever observed how nice you feel during your holiday? How light, joyful and authentic? Everything is just wonderful. Well, you are on a continuous holiday here. It starts with your birth and end with your death. Live it like a holiday. - Word. My new goal.

Today was a beautiful Monday. I started my day with a bowl of White Chocolate Chai Latte Oats (can I get a hell yeah!!?)

White Chocolate Chai Latte Oats

- 1/2 cup Tazo Chai Tea Concentrate (from Starbucks)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
- 1/2 cup Organic Quick Oats
- 1 T White Chocolate PB & Co.





Lunch was 4 perogies and 2 slices of ham (I will spare you the ugly photo) as well as 2 clementines, 1 cheese stick, and some yogurt with 2 T chia seeds/ granola:



For dinner I had a giant chicken Caesar salad:



With a couple dried figs, and a chunk of goat cheese:



What things do you need to work on to live a better life? What changes have you made in your life that have changed who you are as a person?

16 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

im an aries so im a natural born risk taker.. yea maybe when i was younger! im like an old man when it comes to risk taking.. so im right there with u on that one. i think ive made the most improvement letting go of my thoughts and not letting them become my realities. it took so long to do it and make it a habit but its made my life so much easier. so much more to work on tho.. getiin' there..

night night <3 xoxo

Becca said...

"Don't Take it Personally, Ever. Never. Your world is shaped by your reaction to things, not by the things themselves. Don’t get upset, don’t think that somebody knows you enough to make right assumptions about you. Acknowledge and move on."

I am HORRIBLE at this one. Okay, maybe not horrible, but certainly not good. Even if I know someone is 'just that way' or that they are 'having a bad day' or whatever.. I still have an extremely difficult time not taking what they say personally. Not sure why, it sucks though.

= (

Alanna said...

I love the 'live it like a holiday' one, I really must work on that, and the 'throw away one object a day from your house' is so important, I feel so much better when I get rid of clutter :)

Anonymous said...

I think I need to forgive more...If someone ever Lies to me I tend to "write them off" cause I seriously HATE liars (I'm a bad person I know) so I think I have to be more forgiving depending on the situation.

Simply Life said...

Great list! I'm definitely with you and can't see the point of buying something new when you already have something that works - it seems like such a waste and is horrible for the environment!

Anonymous said...

I need to work on not taking it personally. I an be so bad at that sometimes!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

There are some great biblical principals there! If only everyone thought and practiced the same, what a world!

Quinn said...

love these tips!

Kat said...

I need to work on being not so "glass half empty." I always look at the downside of things instead of the positive, and its such a downer!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing said...

Wow, GREAT post! I've worked on the forgiving thing this past year too. Well the past few months. I've had three people really hurt me in the past year and I held on to the hate and hurt for SO LONG that it just started eating away at me. It wasn't hurting them, it was hurting me. So I let it go and I felt like a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Forgiveness is where it's at.
And by the way, I am super in awe of you that you teach that age group. My younger cousin is in 8th grade and God help me if I had a classroom full of kids her age... you are amazing.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

I don't like the "
Throw away one Object a Day from Your House" rule. It seems wasteful and wouldn't work for me. I'm not one to accumulate a lot of stuff. I hate clutter.

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

Your oats consistently inspire me. I love your new creations.

Thanks for the info about Amazing Grass. I'm still on the fence about it. We'll see how I do next time i go to Whole Foods.

Kacy said...

These are things I definitely need to keep in mind. I do several of those things, but there is always room for improvement.

I can be kind of materialistic. I need to work on that.

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

Awesome post! I've made a lot of changes in terms of becoming more self-aware, which has definitely improved my quality of life and how I interact with others. Something I'd like to work on more is not taking everything so personally. I have a tendency to give comments that people make a lot more weight than I should!

Anonymous said...

I don't hold many grudges but when I do they usually last a long time. Been holding one for 30 years now :-O

Morgan said...

I'm currently working on being more patient. It's one thing I've never been good at, but I know it's very important in life, especially right now!!