Monday, April 1, 2013

New Orleans - Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives Style

We had a pretty full, and pretty fantastic day in New Orleans on Saturday.  Upon waking up I threw on a swimsuit and headed up to the the rooftop pool of our hotel to check out the view, and take a dip.  

 
 

Not much later, Christopher joined me for a little swim and a few minutes of lounging in the sun.

Today's eats were very much influenced by Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and I made sure to order all the featured dishes from this show.  We were not disappointed.

Breakfast was at Stanley's.  I ordered the Eggs Stanley, which has cornmeal crusted oysters over eggs Benedict with a Cajun inspired sauce.

 

Some guy was walking by the restaurant and took a picture of Christopher through the window.  He then came in, came up to the table, and started taking more pictures of him!  It was very strange, but quite amusing to both us and the couple at the neighboring table.

After breakfast we wandered around, enjoying the live music pretty much each step of the way, and the beautiful architecture.  

 

Christopher liked to read the historical information on the plaques on statues and outside of interesting buildings.

We walked for a long time until we were very far from the touristy areas.  We happened upon a little lounge in a residential area, and decided to grab a bourbon and listen to the tunes.  We were greeted with some surprised looks as we came in and sat down (we later found out we were in the heart of the ghetto).  The people were super friendly, and we stuck around a while picking songs from the juke box and playing a game of pool.


Lunch was at another DDD's featured place - Parasol's.


We tried two different po boys (roast beef and fire cracker shrimp), as well as some onion rings.

 

The rest of the day included delicious beverages, loads of dancing and live music at numerous clubs, and some karaoke ...

 
 
 
 

And then midnight eats at our third DDD's joint of the day - Acme Oyster House.  We had boo fries, a dozen raw oysters and another po boy.  The fries and po boy were great, but the oysters - not so much.


We ended off an awesome day with some Pinkberry fro yo, and then crashed hard after a long day of walking and good eats.


Have you ever eaten at a place that you saw on the Food Network?

6 comments:

Kacy said...

They featured my favorite dive bar in Oklahoma on DDD once. So I've been there, but not sure if I've been to any other FN places. Looks like you guys had some great eats!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your guys are having a great time. Just an FYI, I'm sure you already know but we have a frozen yogurt place in town now called Menchie's Frozen Yogurt. Similar to Pinkberry, but I would say more like 16 Handles that you checked out in NY. I went yesterday and it was good. Your last pic reminded me to tell you.

Chris

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

It looks and sounds like you are having so much fun on your vacation. I bet the warmer temps feel awesome. I have never been to NOLA but would love to visit some day!

I have been to a place in Minneapolis that was on DDD called Kramarcyzks. I am probably butchering the spelling, but it's this place that has great Ukrainian food. My boyfriend and I went on a date there when we first started dating and split this plate that had a sausage roll, polish sausage, and sauerkraut. Probably sounds like a weird date as that is kind of stinky food but we had a really good time.

I also went to this place in Charlotte called Cabo Fish Taco. They have the best fish tacos. Then I randomly saw it featured on DDD which was good as I had been there before it got 'discovered' i guess you could say!

sophia said...

You look badass, girl! Still haven't gone to any DDD featured places, but glad you have! :)

Why am I here??? said...

Shorts and a tank-top - F-UUUUUUUU!

Looks like you two love birds are having a blast. I'm so happy to see you so happy Jolene. Let's have a date when I'm done with school (after April 12). Enjoy your trip. Soak up every minute of awesomeness!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've never eaten at a place I saw off of Food Network but it's one of my goals to do so. Hope you have a fabulous time in New Orleans!