Tuesday, February 2, 2016

"Veggiful" Eats & Perfect Puffed Wheat Cake

On Saturday night we had chicken salad before heading out on the town.  Christopher's band was headlining a show at The German Club.


On Sunday morning Christopher made breakfast, and we spent the rest of the day relaxing, watching movies, etc..  For dinner we whipped up a roasted carrot, turmeric soup.


It was so flavourful, a touch spicy, and loaded with veggies.  You can find the recipe here.

Last night's dinner was a warm salad.  We're so into these lately; it's just regular salad, but the veggies are roasted first.  I sauteed some kale in garlic and a touch of cooking wine first, and sprinkled that with a bit of salt.  Then I covered that with roasted veggies (olive oil, salt & pepper), and some pan-fried chicken.  We poured salad dressing over everything, and it totally hit the spot. 


Roasted veggies make me really, really happy. 

I made a pan of puffed wheat cake last night too.  If you find that your puffed wheat cake often turns out hard, it's likely your white sugar to brown sugar ratio that is off a bit.  Some people like chewier puffed wheat cake, others like sticky, softer puffed wheat cake ... for the latter, try this:

Perfectly Soft Puffed Wheat Cake

1 cup brown sugar (I use golden brown, not the dark brown stuff)
1/4 cup white sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup margarine
5 T cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
9 cups puffed wheat

Heat the first 5 ingredients in a pot over medium, stirring regularly.  Bring to a light boil for about 30 seconds, stirring the whole time once it's at this point.  Remove from heat, add vanilla, stir that in.  Pour over the puffed wheat.  Stir together, then use parchment paper or wax paper to press it firmly into a sprayed/lined 9x13 pan.  Let cool.  Cut into squares.


It stays soft even after cut into squares, as long as you keep it in a sealed container/bag.  If you have never heard of this dessert, you have to try it.  I think all kids in Saskatchewan had this at home growing up.  It's a similar idea to rice crispy squares/cake, but with puffed wheat, and it's chocolatey!

How's your week going so far?

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That carrot soup is right up my alley as I love turmeric! I am going to make that when we get back from vacation. The roasted veggie salad looks delicious, too. I love roasted veggies so much and have been adding them to my salads lately and they make them soooo much better! I've never heard of puffed wheat cake but it looks tasty!

My week has gone by fast as it's been busy at work. I'm glad the week is going fast, though, because the faster Friday comes, the better, as that's when we leave for Mexico!

Alli said...

OK I need to make that soup and I am totally intrigued by puffed wheat cake. My week has been pretty blah, but I made salted chocolate chip cookies to bring in to the office which made everyone happy. I feel like on a crappy week it's nice to bring a smile to people's faces.

Nicole | Culinary Cool said...

Our old babysitter used to make the best Puffed Wheat Cake. We went crazy when she made it for our after school snack.