Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Fennel

I'm not really a fan of the black licorice flavour in candies, but I do love anise (in cooking, not to flavour beverages with), star anise, and fennel which have similar flavours.  We've made a couple of dishes with fennel in the past little while, and both were home runs!

One was rigatoni with sausage and fennel, that I mentioned in this post.

And then we made roasted chicken thighs with fennel and orange last night.  This recipe is really easy to throw together, so it's great for a weeknight meal.  You just rub an herb mixture into the chicken, and lay it over chunks of fennel and thin slices of orange.


Then you lay a bunch of thyme on top, and roast it at 450 F until it's done.


We served it with brown rice, and used the drippings as a sauce.


There is no need to peel the oranges, and the rind tastes great when cooked.  The leftovers warmed up nicely for lunch today.

On Monday evening we took my dad out to Bushwakker for dinner.  I had the original pizza, which comes with pepperoni, banana peppers, and green olives - perfect!  I ate two slices and took the leftovers home.


This evening we're just kind of snacking for dinner, as we want to eat up random bits of things that we have in the fridge.

How is your week going so far?  Do you like black licorice?  Anise?  Star anise?  Fennel?  What about basil? (It has an anise/mint flavour profile, so if people don't like anise, they often don't like basil.)  Are there any herbs or spices that you don't like?  Which do you love?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

The funny thing is that I like black licorice candies (or did when I could have them - they are off limits now that I know about my gluten intolerance as black licorice usually has wheat in it - boo!), but I don't really like that flavor profile in savory dishes unless it is really subtle. I do like sausage with fennel but I think there is enough going on that fennel isn't the star.

I LOVE basil. When I lived downtown, I had a huge plant on my patio and I would tear off leaves and put them in my salad. Yum. I'm not able to grow basil at our house as the squirrels eat it no matter what I try to do to deter them. Womp womp. But I am going to grow some at my community garden plot this year as I miss having access to lots and lots of basil! It's probably my favorite herb!