Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What's Up Wednesday

1)  Early Sunday morning before we started prepping for our Italian dinner, Christopher made breakfast - one of our most favourite parts of weekends at home.


2)  We had a lot of leftovers after dinner on Sunday, so we sent Christopher's parents home with some, and started our week off with some as well.  On Monday morning I had cauliflower soup for breakfast:


3)  Lunch was chili with some garlic bread re-heated in the oven.


4)  Monday's dinner was leftover stuffed pasta shells:


The last of the bread too ...


5)  I picked up some of these kombucha drinks at Costco, and absolutely loooooove them!  The ingredient list is great, and they have a nice fizz from the active cultures.


These will be a regular purchase around here.  The health benefits of kombucha are incredible (not to mention the health benefits of lemon and ginger).

6)  Yesterday I made an omelet for breakfast.  I filled it with olive tapenade, tomato, red onion, feta cheese and a bunch of cilantro.

 

7)  The omelet kept me fueled when I went for a really long walk with my friend Alissa and her little one, Vienna.  We walked for a couple hours and visited; it was so nice.  I'll miss this when I go back to work. 

8)  This morning I woke up to a cold, rainy, windy day - perfect for oatmeal.  Despite the bad weather, I hit the farmers' market after breakfast.  I grabbed a bunch of onions and garlic.


9)  I made pizza for lunch today (onion, yellow pepper, green olives, arugula, salami, three cheeses).


10)  It's been a perfect afternoon to make beef stock for tonight's homemade soup.  If you're using bones that haven't been cooked at all before, the trick to perfect broth is to boil them for about 10 minutes to release all the gunk that will float to the top. 

Photo taken pre-gunk, because the gunk is gross.
Skim it off, and then dump everything over a strainer in the sink and wash the bones.  This step will help give you a cleaner, lighter stock, which is perfect for the dish I'm making tonight.

Then, roast the bones at 425 F until they are well browned (I must have roasted them about 30 minutes - I didn't really keep track):


Once they are browned well, put them into a large stock pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Throw onion and garlic into the oven and roast that for a while too:


Keep an eye on them, and take 'em out when they look all roasty and delicious, and that garlic is ready to burst.  Toss them into the pot and boil the bones, onions and garlic for a long time, covered.  I like to boil everything for at least eight hours or so.


Later I'll strain this into another pot, season it, and make soup - more on that in the next post.

11)  Today was also a good day to make coffee cake


Between the beef stock and this coffee cake, it's safe to say the house smells amazing.

How's your week going so far?  Do you ever make beef stock?
Do you like coffee cake?  Is it feeling like fall where you are?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

This post is inspiring me to make my own broth some time. I have made my own chicken brother but not beef broth so I will have to do that!

This week has been a hard week for me and my family due to the loss of my uncle. It was great to see so much family and we laughed a lot as stories of my uncle, who was SO full of life and love and zest, were shared, but there were a lot of tears. My meals have been random, like potato chips and pickles at the funeral lunch since that was all that was safe for me to eat there... but this weekend will be better for eating.

I do love coffee cake but haven't had it in ages because I don't do much GF baking since it's so finicky! There's a chill in the air here but it doesn't quite feel like fall yet. I'm kind of torn because I love summer and want some more warm days but on the other hand, I really love the lack of humidity and cooler sleeping weather!