Friday, August 12, 2016

A Day of Eats

The breakfast that I made yesterday morning was one of the most delicious breakfasts I've had in a while. 

Bacon topped, three-cheese grits, topped with crushed, roasted tomatoes, and green onion:


I cannot get enough cheesy grits; they are so amazing. 

When Christopher came home for lunch, I had some pasta ready - Alfredo shells with black olives, baked with a bit of cheese.


And, if the day wasn't tasty enough already, we made fried chicken for dinner.  Fried in duck fatExtra fowl.


The batter was super crispy and flavourful, and the chicken was juicy. 


We like to cut chicken breasts into halves or thirds before battering and frying it, so there is more surface area of delicious batter, and the chicken cooks quickly and evenly, ensuring that the meat is not overdone.

On the side we had roasted zucchini and potatoes (from my Farmers' market trip last week). 


This morning I used the leftover potatoes and zucchini in a little baked egg skillet.  Then for lunch, we had the leftover fried chicken sliced up in sandwiches with mayo and lettuce.


So much better than KFC!  Mmmmmmm.

What did you cook this week?
What are you up to this weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you get your duck fat?

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

@Anonymous - My brother is a GM of a restaurant, and ordered it through the restaurant distributor :-) I know you can buy goose fat at the Independent grocers, but I am not sure where else to get duck fat.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum, all of your meals look so good as usual! The cheesy grits sound especially yummy! We hosted friends this weekend but I was gone Monday-Thur so I kept the meals we made for them pretty simple. On Friday we grilled brats from my favorite Polish deli and had them with corn on the cob and roasted potatoes. We ate out for both our meals on Saturday and then on Sunday morning I made a sweet potato hash for breakfast with scrambled eggs which was so good!