Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It's Over ...

Today is the last day of my summer holidays.

Tomorrow I go back to work, and on the 7th I go back to school.

This summer was the busiest I have ever had, with a July class, my sister's wedding in August (more pictures to come this week), and numerous house-keeping things to take care of.

We ended the summer with an epic 10-day camping trip to Clear Lake, Manitoba.  We arrived home yesterday relaxed and ready to take on all that fall will bring.

We cooked dinner on Sunday night, deciding that Monday (our last day of camping) would be restaurants only.  Our last cooked meal while camping was perogies and Ukrainian sausage.


On Monday morning we went to my favourite breakfast restaurant, "The White House."  I had the eggs Benedict.


Dinner was at a fabulous Italian restaurant called T.R. McKoy's.  
I had pizza and shared a couple pieces with the hubby.


We got home yesterday and had to do a big grocery shopping trip to re-stock our fridge.  I bought some stuff to make meals for the fall that I can freeze and just heat when we need something easy.  I plan on doing a big cook this week (starting today).  

I am also going to plan out our meals for the next 3 months.  
With a full course load of grad classes (3) and full-time work, I am going to need to be organized.

This morning I loaded up on leafy greens by having a Green Monster for breakfast.  
Time to get some vitamins after 10 days of crappy camping food.

My summer holidays may be over ... but I plan on having a productive, awesome fall!
Oh yeah, and I'll be heading to Vegas in a few weeks with about 20 friends :-)  That should help pull me through the start of a busy semester.

Does summer feel like it is coming to an end for you?  Do you still get those back-to-school feelings, even if you are not going back to school?  How do you prepare for fall?  New clothes?  Filling your freezer?

14 comments:

Kacy said...

I do feel like summer's coming to an end and it makes me sad. It's my favorite season!
The trip looks like fun!
Have a good first day back!

winkingannie said...

Sounds like you are all set for Fall! I can't believe you are meal planning for 3 months! That is crazy organized. I'm happy if I manage to plan for a week. :)

Amber said...

This summer FLEW BY! I think it's cause it didn't really become real "summer weather" here until a few weeks ago!

Glad you were able to end the summer with a bang and a nice, big relaxing camping trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow are you ever going to be busy come Oct/Nov!! I think you are so smart to fill your freezer now... you and your hubbie will appreciate all that work when it's cold out and you can have hot meals in seconds!

Anonymous said...

You are definitely going to be busy!

I am hoping this is my last "back to school" year, but even when I was working, after I got my first degree and before going back to school 5 years ago, I still got that feeling every fall.

I have had a green monster for the past 3 mornings. It feels very virtuous to me to start the day of with a dose of veggies!

Bea @ Beaglebea said...

Oh I hear you... I too am enjoying my last week of a 2 month holiday. I start grad classes Monday and us teachers in my district go back to work for Pro-d on the 30th, 31st and 1st. Then it's the long weekend and back to classes Tuesday after Labour Day. It will be a busy fall for sure...and I may also be doing some casual lifeguarding on the side. Try to enjoy the last of your holidays before the chaos begins.. :) Camping looked like a ton of fun.

Anonymous said...

I never get summers anymore...not since 2003!!! Hahaha. Anyways I can't believe you are going back to school...and can't wait to see what you make for the big cook!

Anonymous said...

I feel like summer has already come to an end - the students are back already!! Hope you enjoy your day!

Anonymous said...

Where do you blog/have a computer while camping by the way?!

Sounds like you've had an awesome summer - and are so positive for the future!

Wait - 20 friends?! Is this a wedding? Engagement party?...oh, and I want T.R's!!! :)

Amanda said...

Good luck going back to school! Andy went back a couple days ago. I'm still holding out for a teaching job.

Vegas will be awesome. I always love going there. We live 4 hours away driving!

DessertForTwo said...

Any chance you're going to be in Vegas for the PBR finals over Halloween weekend? It's a long shot, I know but I'll be there, so I thought I'd check! It'd be fun to catch up :)

Why am I here??? said...

YOU'RE CRAZY! I thought taking 1 Grad Class and working 55 hours a week was pushing it. I could not imagine 3 classes. At least you got to relax before.

Unknown said...

TR McKoys is my faaaaaaaaaaaaav! My family would go to Clear Lake all the time when I was a kid and on the last night we would always go to TR McKoys. Such a treat.

Hope you had a good first few days of work!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I didn't realize you were close to Manitoba? Or maybe you actually live in that province?!

Even though I am done with school, I still get that 'back to school' feeling because it marks the start of another season and a shift in my schedule as I no longer go to the lake after Labor Day weekend.