Saturday, August 20, 2011

How We Camp ...

Camping is our chance to completely relax - to do absolutely nothing, and not feel guilty about wasting the day.  Camping in the summer helps me to recharge my batteries for a full year.  It is unlike any other type of vacation that we take.  We don't make plans, we don't schedule anything, we rarely even make it to the beach. A hike is probably out of the question.

Mornings are spent in our loungy lawn chairs with breakfast and French press coffee.


If we are feeling especially adventurous, we might drive to town for breakfast.


We usually have a late, relaxed lunch around 2:30.  Usually something highly nutritious, like Zoodles.  
Or cup-a-soup.


Lunch might be followed with some of this ...


After a tough day of R&R, we crack open a bottle of wine and start making a delicious dinner.  

We might make chili from scratch and top it with some old cheddar:


Or steak with mushrooms, sweet potatoes and asparagus:


Or mushroom Alfredo pasta with garlic bread:


After our long hard day we reward ourselves with a walk to town for some ice cream.  


I always get a kids' size pink grapefruit gelato. 


Our first walk of the day is followed by a fire and heated debates.

That, my friends, is how we camp.

Think you could handle 10 days of that? 

How do you camp?


13 comments:

Amber said...

You guys make some pretty fancy food while camping!! Wowie!

I haven't camped in ages, but I usually like to do it in places where I can be active! Kayaking, hiking and swimming are a few of the activities we've enjoyed on past camping trips :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I certainly could handle that. I am impressed with how well you eat on these camping trips!

I have actually never been camping... we had a camper when we were young, but that really does not count as camping. I would love to go camping some day, though. it's just not something my group of friends does unfortunatley, so I need to seek out friedns that would do that...

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

the pic of you in the hammock = AWESOME!!

and that gelato...nice

HAVE FUN!!!!

Allysia said...

That sounds really nice! Although my camping tolerance is fairly limited - I start getting grouchy around the three day mark. :) By and large, I'm a city girl.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

That sounds so wonderful! I have to admit though, I don't know if I could handle it for ten days--maybe a long weekend!
:)

Anonymous said...

I love camping for 2 or 3 days at a time... but then I miss modern conveniences! Love the pics of you in the hammock - how relaxing!

Madeline- Greens and Jeans said...

I LOVE camping! But I definitely think I need a hammock for next time!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Looks like fun!! And grapefruit gelato! YES PLEASE!

Looks like you guys are camping chefs!! :)

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE 10 days of that!

Anonymous said...

You are the coolest girl ever!! Camping - in a tent. Awesome. AND you eat so well actually! I'd be eating anything. Our "camping" when we were little was with my family - but to our trailer or grandmothers' small cabin. Yes, it was indoors with beds...but they were bunks, there were GIANT mosquitos, the toilet didn't flush - or there was none and we had to run outside...NOT fun as an 8 year old in the middle of the night! BUT there was always fried fish, bologna, eggs, beans and ketchup :) What more could you want?

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a camper, but maybe if you came along to cook amazing food for me? Looks so amazing. I'm all about sitting around the fire, though - preferably enjoying marshmallows :)

Unknown said...

Were you in Waskesui? I recognize those buildings!! I could definately camp like that....it sounds like sooooo much fun!!!

Anonymous said...

sniff. I don't camp...but maybe I should start...since I live in the mountains now!