Friday, August 5, 2011

Eating at the Ex

The exhibition is in town this week, and the hubby and I went on the first day ... not for the rides, but for the food and musicMariana's Trench was playing, and they put on a pretty good show;  however it wasn't as good as the first time we saw them in a small, indoor venue many years ago.  They have become much more mainstream now.

I ate a small corn dog, and it was sooooo good!


I also had a few bites of the hubby's pizza:


And 2 of his mini donuts:


We didn't eat this guy, but we were amazed by his many horns.  


Apparently, Jacob Sheep can grow up to 6 horns - cuuuuuute!

Before the concert we shared a colossal onion.  This was new to our fair this year, and we just had to try it.  First the onion is flowered with a special machine.  Then they dip the onion in batter and fry it.  After that, the onion is cored, and a dip is placed in the middle.  

It is basically like onion rings, but much cooler.


Have you ever had a colossal onion?  
What is your favourite food to get at the fair/ex?

13 comments:

Allysia said...

I've also heard of those being called 'flowering onions'. And I learned that from the show Buffy, weirdly enough. :)

Amber said...

Hmmmmmmm mini donuts! Best. Thing. Ever!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

i LOVE mini donuts!

that IS my childhood memory of the fair! And food on a stick!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the onion thing before! My Mum LOVES onion rings so I'll have to take her to the fair this year to see if we can find it.

Anonymous said...

I think we might go to the ex tomorrow. I love cotton candy and the mini donuts. I've heard they have a donut burger there this year, where the "bun" for the burger is a donut cut in half. Not sure about that, but the onion looks pretty good. Looks like the onions they have at Outback Steakhouse.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum. Fair-type food is so yummy. I love corn dogs. I miss them (can't have them since they have gluten). but yum.

a restaurant in this area serves those onions and they call them a blooming onion. So delish!

Yat said...

The blooming onion looks amazing, and I have so much extra buttermilk I could definitely make an excuse to make that onion!

And woah. That sheep is insane.

Faith @ For the Health of It said...

I'm so jealous - I LOVE Marianas Trench! Looks like an awesome time all around :)

Unknown said...

Fair food is the beeeest! I love the mini donuts, giant hot dogs, elephant ears (I don't know if they are there this year) and slushies!

Anonymous said...

HELL YEAH I love those onions! They are the worst thing for you but that batter and that sauce is to die for! I love getting fried oreos at the fair!

Amanda said...

Those onions look amazing! I want to learn how to make it one of these days.

Kacy said...

That all looks fabulous! I love to get fried cheese :)

Laural @ Being Healthier said...

I have yet to try a colossal onion!!!! I'm putting it on my todo list! haha.