Friday, June 15, 2012

Restaurants


I have been a little MIA from the blog world lately, as we had a tragic and sudden death in the family on the weekend.  Make sure you spend time with your loved ones, as you never know how much time you will have with them.  Over this past week I have been deeply touched by the kindness and love of friends and family.  I am so grateful for all the people in my life.




Needless to say, there hasn't been much cooking in these parts.  Most meals have been eaten at restaurants.

Finally got around to trying Five Guys which is new to the city.  I like how you can eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor, although I couldn't make a mess, and instead kept my shells neat and tidy in the container.



I got the little bacon and cheese burger, loaded.  It was a pretty good burger, and I especially liked that the bacon was really crisp.



I also ate a few fries, but I wasn't a big fan of the them.  I prefer crispy fries, but these were a little soft.



Another meal out was breakfast at Fresh & Sweet.

I ordered the chicken with waffles, which was pieces of honey chicken and cheese inside of a waffle, panini style, with powdered sugar on top.  It was sooooooo good!  I was surprised by how much I liked this dish.




I also tried a bite or two of the red velvet pancakes.  They are definitely not a breakfast food (at least not a healthy one), but they are still delicious. 



My favourite part of this restaurant was probably the unicorn pooping cupcakes.  



Yeah, I know, I'm so mature.

I ate some junk at Beer Brothers with friends one evening, but barely put a dent in this plate.  The spring rolls were the best part, as they were filled with whole shrimp, mmmmmm!



Lunch at Henry's was great.  I loved the Thai soup.



And the margarita pizza at Slow Food really hit the spot after not eating all day.



A lasagna made by the ladies at the Italian Club made for a nice dinner with family after a tough day.



It hasn't been the greatest week, but I am ready to get back into routine, and back into the kitchen.  I have 2 weeks left of work until summer holidays, and I am really looking forward to an amazing summer.

How was your week?  What do you have planned for the weekend?

15 comments:

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Jolene, I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel awful for you that it was unexpected and my deepest empathy for you and your family.

Amber said...

So sorry to hear about the death in your family :( All that food looks good but especially that pizza. Yum!

LoLy said...

I am so sorrry about your loss, Hope u r feeling better xx

DessertForTwo said...

So sorry for your loss, Jolene :(

Thinking of you,
xo,
Christina

Alli said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. Sending positive energy your way.

Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

so sorry.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Very sorry to hear about the loss in your family:(

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss :( Stay strong and when you're feeling down just think of that unicorn ;P

Kacy said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been dealing with such sadness and loss. Thinking of you.
I would have gotten a kick out of the pooping unicorn too :)

Alaina said...

Hope you know how much you guys are loved. We will be here for you. This is going to be tough...but just know that anything we can do - do not ever hesitate to ask.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. :( I'm goad you have a strong family and group of friends to support you during this time.

You had some great eats! I am totally craving lasagna now! Yum!

winkingannie said...

Jolene, I am truly sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Simply Life said...

Hi Jolene-
I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss and hope that you have plenty of support during this time.

Allysia said...

Jolene, I'm so sorry to hear about that. Take care of yourself, girl. I never know what to say in these situations but that really, really sucks and life is stupid sometimes. :(

Anonymous said...

Are you okay? :( I hope everything has settled down again for you. Death is always a tragic thing but I hope your loved ones helped with the shock.