Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Early Easter Dinner

We won't be around for Easter, so this past weekend we had an early Easter dinner.  We roasted a smoked pork shoulder, which is my favourite type of "ham" to make. Traditional hams are from the hind leg of the pig, and shoulders - well they're from the front, and are better and far more flavourful, in my opinion.


We buy the Olymel brand, which has a nice thick layer of fat on the top.  If you cook it fat-side up, the meat is absolutely succulent.

I believe that hams should be flavoured more on the spicy/sweet side, rather than savoury (I would never season a ham with garlic or onion).  I poured apple juice in the bottom of the roaster, and stuck cloves in the scored fat, which later pulled apart and then came off easily.


We served it with scalloped potatoes from the Best of Bridge: Sunday Suppers cookbook, peas, and the all-time best mustard sauce to dip the pork in.  I love this dip so much, and couldn't imagine eating ham without it.  It's foolproof, and addictive.

Best Mustard Dip for Ham

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/3 cup white vinegar

Bring to a boil.  Cool.  Dip ham in it.  You're welcome.

 
There was another March snow storm this past weekend, and it's looking pretty cold for the next few days.  I'm hoping Easter will bring Spring along with it, as we're very ready for planting flowers, and some backyard time.

How is your week going?  Are you having an Easter dinner this coming weekend?  Do you usually have turkey or ham at Easter?  Something different?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

We are having ham at Joan’s today. We don’t always have ham but I do like it when we have it as I’m kind of a fan of salty foods and ham is usually on the salty side. The pork you had looks and sounds delicious!! Especially that mustard sauce. I will have to make that some time. I LOVE mustard!!