Thursday, November 10, 2016

Breakfasts

I am not one who could ever skip breakfast.  I wake up hunnnnngry!  In my early twenties I often had non-traditional breakfasts, such as leftover lasagna, or slices of pizza that I'd order specifically for breakfast, and freeze.  I went through a phase where I didn't think I liked breakfast foods.  Eventually I grew out of that, although I still wouldn't turn away a slice of lasagna for breakfast.

I've been drinking a lot of smoothies lately, with coconut water, a banana, frozen blueberries, a splash of vanilla, and a couple big, dark, kale leaves.  These smoothies are so good, and for those who are scared of the greens - you can't taste them at all.  It just tastes like a blueberry/banana/vanilla-y drink.

Christopher doesn't eat much for breakfast.  Most days this past week he's had simply 1/2 of a pomegranate.  He saves me the other half of the arils, and I make beautiful oatmeal with them.


Or I have them alongside toast:


I've been on a whipped banana oatmeal kick, which is a great way to get more fruit into breakfast.  I just bring 1/2 of liquid to a boil (I've been using a mixture of coconut water and almond milk), then you add 1/4 cup of oats, and let boil one minute while stirring it.  Remove from heat, put the lid on, and let sit for a minute while you mash up a banana, and whip it real good.  Remove the lid from the pot and stir in the whipped banana.  Grab a spoon and stir in a spoonful of PB as you dump it in the bowl; this makes it extra delicious.  Then toppings!


On weekends we both have big breakfasts, and this past weekend Christopher wanted to try my whipped banana oats, so I made two bowls (which only uses 1/2 cup of oats total, but fills both bowls beautifully).


On the weekend I also whipped up a batch of pumpkin dip, which is great served with vanilla wafers or graham crackers.


It's also pretty wonderful on top of a puffed pancake.


Puffed pancakes are pretty much the easiest thing ever.

Puffed Pancake

- 2 T butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk, so it didn't puff up as much as it could have, but was still delicious)

Heat your oven to 400 F.  Put the butter in a 9 inch pie plate, and place in the oven to melt the butter.  Brush the butter around all over the pan sides and bottom.  In a bowl, beat the eggs, and then add the flour, salt and milk, just mixing until combined.  Don't over-mix.  Pour into pie plate, and bake 25-30 minutes.  Serve immediately with whatever toppings you like.


After breakfast it's been pretty easy to get ready and get going in the morning, as the weather has been absolutely incredible!  We had a bit of snow and cold earlier in October, but that has long gone, and we have been enjoying +15C ish temperatures (59 F).  This past weekend people were out and about on the town in sandals and shorts!  It's so nice to not have to wear a coat, and to not need to the winter tires I had put on back in October.  Lovin' this!

What have you been eating for breakfast lately?
What are you up to this long weekend?

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That popped pancake looks so good!! I'm a breakfast girl, too, but my breakfast has little to no variety as I eat the same date-sweetened apple pie oatmeal every day. But it's soooo good! On the weekends, Phil usually makes breakfast one day. It's always eggs and hashbrowns and often times he will add a leftover tamale (he gets tamales pretty much once a week every week but saves one for our weekend breakfast).

It's not a long weekend here unfortunately, as Veteran's Day isn't a stat holiday for us. It's a bank holiday but most company's are still open. But I should be able to leave early as it will be a really quiet day since the bond market is closed. I have a busy Saturday, but Sunday is pretty wide open. I'm going to roast my very first chicken that evening which I'm excited about!

Amber said...

I love breakfast!!! I was on sweet potato bowls foreverrrrrr after doing Whole 30, but lately I've been back on steel cut oats and really loving them. On the weekends I do tend to make something a little fancier like eggs and bacon or an egg on toast.