Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holiday Baking

This year I decided that I wasn't going to do any holiday baking.  I told myself that for about two weeks ... but then I changed my mind.  I didn't do as much as I have in previous years, but I did bake three kinds of cookies




Someone was happy that I changed my mind:



I made double chocolate merlot cookies using this recipe.  Yes, they are as good as they sound.



I also made soft, chewy oatmeal cookies.



Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup margarine, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups regular rolled oats
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all the ingredients.  Roll into small balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Press with a fork slightly.  Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.

Finally I made a holiday staple, shortbread.  These are the softest, most buttery, melt-in-your mouth shortbread around.  I make them every year.



Perfect Shortbread

3 cups flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup icing sugar
1 lb salted butter

Whip the butter very well.  Add the rest a bit at a time.  Whip very well.  Roll into balls and press slightly.  Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes.

All the cookies turned out perfectly.  Homemade cookies are definitely my favourite dessert.



I also made a double batch of caramel corn:



Christopher woke up on Saturday morning and saw it cooling, and thought an elf had made him breakfast.  I tried to explain that caramel corn is not breakfast ... but I was too late.

Have you done any baking this holiday season? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been begging my son to do some baking with me, but so far, no luck. Hoping to get some done this weekend though!

Amber said...

Holy crap. I might have to make those dark chocolate merlot cookies. YUM!

Unknown said...

Yuuuummmy. What recipe do you use for caramel corn?

Only a few days until Xmas vacay! Hope it's a good week for you so far!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum! All those cookies look SO good! I did not do any holiday baking but when I am home my mom and I are going to make these gluten free brownie bite cookies which look really good!

Emily said...

I want all of the cookies! They look so good.

Anonymous said...

I've made white chocolate cranberry cookies, gingersnaps, a couple of different recipes of peppermint brownies, and the most amazing rice krispies squares. I'll also be making some sucre a la creme on the weekend, and possibly some pumpkin cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I'm an okay cook, but my true love is baking - can you tell?