Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holiday Baking

This year I decided that I wasn't going to do any holiday baking.  I told myself that for about two weeks ... but then I changed my mind.  I didn't do as much as I have in previous years, but I did bake three kinds of cookies




Someone was happy that I changed my mind:



I made double chocolate merlot cookies using this recipe.  Yes, they are as good as they sound.



I also made soft, chewy oatmeal cookies.



Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup margarine, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups regular rolled oats
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all the ingredients.  Roll into small balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Press with a fork slightly.  Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.

Finally I made a holiday staple, shortbread.  These are the softest, most buttery, melt-in-your mouth shortbread around.  I make them every year.



Perfect Shortbread

3 cups flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup icing sugar
1 lb salted butter

Whip the butter very well.  Add the rest a bit at a time.  Whip very well.  Roll into balls and press slightly.  Bake at 325 F for 20 minutes.

All the cookies turned out perfectly.  Homemade cookies are definitely my favourite dessert.



I also made a double batch of caramel corn:



Christopher woke up on Saturday morning and saw it cooling, and thought an elf had made him breakfast.  I tried to explain that caramel corn is not breakfast ... but I was too late.

Have you done any baking this holiday season? 

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I've been begging my son to do some baking with me, but so far, no luck. Hoping to get some done this weekend though!

Amber said...

Holy crap. I might have to make those dark chocolate merlot cookies. YUM!

Adelle said...

Yuuuummmy. What recipe do you use for caramel corn?

Only a few days until Xmas vacay! Hope it's a good week for you so far!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum! All those cookies look SO good! I did not do any holiday baking but when I am home my mom and I are going to make these gluten free brownie bite cookies which look really good!

Emily said...

I want all of the cookies! They look so good.

mostlyfitmom said...

I've made white chocolate cranberry cookies, gingersnaps, a couple of different recipes of peppermint brownies, and the most amazing rice krispies squares. I'll also be making some sucre a la creme on the weekend, and possibly some pumpkin cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I'm an okay cook, but my true love is baking - can you tell?