Sunday, November 7, 2010

FoodBuzz Festival - Day 2 Part 1


S 

aturday morning I was up bright an early to meet some other bloggers in the hotel lobby for a 7 a.m. walk around China Town and Nob Hill.  

I am at the back on the far left.
We had some VERY steep hills to climb (the pictures do not even come close to doing justice to the steepness).  I seriously thought that the parked cars were going to roll down the hill.  I would be terrified to drive in San Fransisco!

Lauri from Redhead Recipes

Once we warmed up from the hill-climbing workout, we stopped at a bakery for the best focaccia bread I have ever tasted. I had 2 pieces of the jalapeno cheddar.  We also stopped for lattes.


After the walk, I went to my morning session, "The Write Taste."  We were led through a tasting and challenged  to describe the flavours in new and creative ways.


I spent the rest of the morning with Yelena touring around the financial district and the farmers market at the Ferry Building.  She is such as sweetheart, and was nice enough to show me around :-)  We saw some cool looking fruit (Buddha's Hands) and I drooled over the wide array of mushrooms that I can't bring back to Canada with me (boo to that).


In the afternoon I attended the taste pavilion at the Metreon.  

 

I tried a bit of everything (some un-pictured).  The highlight was my first fish taco.  You got to make your own, and there was a very wide selection of toppings, as well as 2 kinds of fish.  


Sophia and Eden loved them too!!!!! 


After the tasting pavilion I wandered around Union Square before heading back to my room to get ready for the Gala Dinner. The Gala dinner was the best part of the Festival, but you will have to wait for another post to hear about that!

My flight leaves early tomorrow morning, so the next time you hear from me I will be home.
Goodbye San Fransisco! I will see you again!

Have you ever had a fish taco?
Do you have a short work week this week?  

On Thursday it is Remembrance Day in Canada.  
I have Thursday and Friday off, so I will only be working two days this week.

18 comments:

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] said...

So great to meet you, Jolene! :) Hope you enjoyed your time in SF. As for fish tacos, LOVE them. They were certainly a highlight for me during the tasting pavilion.

Simply Life said...

wow! look at all that great food!

Alanna said...

wow! Looks like a wonderful time!
I tired my hand at making fish tacos once, it didn't go so well :) I'll have to try again!

Astrid said...

Jolene! Hw is your foot doing? I hope you had a great last day and night in San Francisco. I do not want to venture back into my school schedule this week. At all.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

Fish tacos are my WEAKNESS! It looks like you've had a blast!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever had a fish taco, but it sounds good!

Amber said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time at the Foodbuzz Festival! So glad you were able to go :-)

Eden said...

i love you, the end :)

Kacy said...

I actually don't think I have ever had a fish taco, but I'd love to have one! I two more full weeks of work, and then a really short week for American thanksgiving! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Well since you couldn't bring mushrooms back, you could bring extras of everything else like an Trader Joe's ENTIRE store, haha. I hope you'll post about any fun food finds you had!

Which reminds me, I'm in Calgary right now, Sunterra bound and SO EXCITED!!!

Amanda said...

so nice to meet you Jolene!

Yelena told me you guys were on a mission for self-serve fro yo. Did you ever find any?

Natalie @ Perry's Plate said...

It was so good to meet you at the festival! I'm glad that you enjoyed your time in San Fran. :) See you around!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

remembrance day...i dont even know what that is...awful of me, huh!

fish tacos...totally a san diego thing and yes, there are about 17 restaurants that serve them that i can walk to in 2 mins flat. come to san diego!

enjoy your short week!!

it was awesome to meet you!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

you met and hung out with sophia!! She's so popularrrr!!! Looks like a foodie heaven!! Didn't you love SF? It's great for the butt! hahaha you know...the hills!! I love fish tacos!!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear said...

I had a short work week last week so a normal one this week. We don't have any public holidays until December.

Susan said...

It was wonderful hanging out with you, if only briefly, this weekend! Us Canadians have got to represent at events like these :P

Hope your meat made it back through customs. My customs officer thought I was a total weirdo trying to bring back so much food!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut said...

That morning walk was definitely hilly and woke me up right away. You got some cool pics from our walk, nice :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in California, come more often

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I don't think I have ever had a fish taco, but I should because I love fish and I love tacos. :) Yum.

The food pics are amazing. I feel like I would have gained 10 lbs on this weekend!!