Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Thanksgiving Long-Weekend

We didn't do the big turkey dinner this Thanksgiving, but that's totally okay, because we got to spend some quality time with my mom 💙

On Saturday morning we stopped at Subway for a quick breakfast, and then grabbed coffees from Naked Bean before heading out on the highway to Saskatoon.


As soon as we arrived at my mom's care home we saw that her glasses were broken (a lens had popped out and we had to look around for it; apparently it had been popping out a lot).  Before sitting down to visit we headed to the mall to get her glasses fixed.  We had to wait a bit, so we hit a couple stores, and got a little piece of fudge from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.


Shout out to Lensmatic Optical for telling us there was no charge when we went to pick up the fixed glasses!  We'll remember that wonderful service in the future.  They said they fixed them up so it shouldn't pop out again.


After that it was back to my mom's to visit for the day.

Dinner was at Mi Casa:


We shared a tamal and a pupusa to start:


Then we shared the yuka frita, and chile rellano for our mains:


We were totally wiped, so we hit the hay early, but not before having a little dessert in the hotel.


We brought my mom breakfast on Sunday morning and spent the day with her again.  Later in the day we ran out to pick up some more food for her, and grabbed a quick bite ourselves at Samosa King.


A samosa each, and a donair to share - delicious!

By the time we left my mom's place that evening most restaurants we could think of were closed, and we were too tired to search for somewhere, so we just grabbed Extreme Pita to go, and took it back to our hotel room.  I had a chicken salad, and Christopher got a falafel pita.


On Monday morning we brought my mom breakfast again, and spent time with her until we had to head back home in the mid-afternoon.

We really enjoyed our time with her, and made sure she got a couple pieces of pumpkin pie this weekend, because it's her very favourite.  My emotions got to me a lot on Sunday, when my mom was having a particularly rough day.  It is really hard to watch her struggling, frustrated, and unable to clearly express what is upsetting her.  Stress exasperates her MS, causes her to slur her words, lose dexterity, and makes it almost seem like she has had a stroke.  I felt very thankful and blessed when Christopher stepped in to feed her, and help her when I needed a little break.  It's extremely emotionally draining and heartbreaking when she is having a difficult day.  Thankfully she was doing much better on Monday.  With this disease it can be like night and day from one day to the next.  My mom being sick has taught me to really put things into perspective over the years, and to think about what truly matters, and what doesn't matter even a little bit.  Having a big feast on Thanksgiving, although nice when it happens, is something that really doesn't matter.  I'd take more time with my mom over that any day ... 

How was your weekend?  What did you do?  If you were celebrating Thanksgiving, how did you celebrate?  

3 comments:

Amber said...

I'm so sorry to hear your mom had such a difficult day. One of my old coworkers, and a good friend of mine, has MS and it is a heartbreaking disease. Sending you ALL the hugs. I agree, time with family is way more important than a big turkey dinner any day!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

MS is such an awful disease. It’s so heart breaking. I’m sorry your mom had such a tough day. Im glad christoper is there to help! A supportive spouse is so important when dealing with difficult things like this. Time with family is way more important than a big thanksgiving meal. You can eat a meal like that any time but you can’t replace time with family.

Thanksgiving is about 6 weeks away for us. We will be spending it with Phil’s mom. Phil has to work that Friday but I took that day off since daycare is closed. Can’t wait for a 4 day weekend with Paul!

Why am I here??? said...

Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming post about your mom. I'm so glad you have a supportive partner to help you through these times. Sending you love <3