Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Keep Your Brain Young

As a psychology major, I've always been very interested in the brain, and brain research.  I am also passionate about health.  Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to review Keep Your Brain Young, when the lovely people at Robert Rose offered to give me a review copy.


Although the book was provided to me at no cost, a blog review was not required, and all opinions are my own. 

This book is broken into five parts:

1 - Understanding Brain Diseases
2 - Smart Nutrients
3 - Standard Care for Dementia
4 - The 12-Step Healthy Brain Diet Program
5 - Menu Plans and Recipes for a Healthy Brain

I loved the section on Smart Nutrients, as it was very straight forward, providing food sources for each nutrient, recipes that correspond, and signs/symptoms of too much or too little of the nutrient.  My other favourite section was section five - no surprise there I'm sure!

We made two of the recipes from this section, including the red lentil curry with coconut and cilantro, and the cucumber raita


These were both super easy to make, and full of healthy, fresh ingredients rich in brain-nutrients.

We served the lentil curry over basmati rice, and then topped it with the raita.  It was refreshing, and tasted very light.  We plan on making both of these recipes again.


What are you reading these days?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum - both of those recipes look SO good! I am obsessed with lentils these days so that curry dish is one I know I'd love. It sounds like a really interesting book.

I just finished a historical fiction novel that was set in Japan during WWII and next I am starting the newest book of a favorite author of mine (Anna Quindlen).