Monday, May 20, 2013

A Weekend of Epic Eating

I love long weekends.  This weekend started out with driving a couple of hours to Martensville on Friday after work.  We stayed with some family (Kim and Errol), and they were wonderful hosts.  I didn't want them to go through any trouble or worry about feeding us, etc., but Kim loves to cook as much as I do ... and cook she did!

We arrived to some munchies, which we enjoyed on the deck.  We had shrimp nachos and tortillas filled with a delicious spicy corn, mango mixture.  It was so nice, we stayed outside and visited until we were ready for bed.

 
 
 
 

The next morning we were up early to drive 10 minutes in to Saskatoon to spend the day with my mom.  We stopped for breakfast at Poached before grabbing some belated mothers' day flowers and other goodies for my mom.

Kim really wanted to make us dinner on the Saturday evening and breakfast before we left the next morning.  Dinner was incredible, and one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had.  She made lobster mac and cheese with veggie skewers on the side.


Cappuccino cheesecake and key lime pie for dessert!


After dinner we just took it easy, visiting on the deck while enjoying the beautiful weather.  The boys set off some fireworks, which was entertaining.  The first few were pretty great, but then the last half of the pack were duds ... it was fun anyway!

 
 
 

They had offered to let us take their quad out for an hour or so, since I love am pretty much obsessed with quading, but we never got around to it.  Some other time ...

We were up early the next morning and enjoyed an epic breakfast before getting on the road to come home.  Breakfast included new potatoes fried in cream and dill, scrambled eggs with green onions, sausages stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon, and toast.

 

I tried a tiny taste of Marmite, which I had never heard of before.  I hear it's a British thing.  I didn't try enough, so I'll have to have it again some time to discover if I like it or not.


Have you ever heard of Marmite?  Have you had it?  
How was your weekend? 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh all that looks amazing! I have never tried Marmite... Don't know if I am going to ;)

Amber said...

Holy that is an EPIC weekend of eating. I am drooling looking at all the photos!!

Eric likes to eat marmite on english muffins but I am NOT a fan. Too bitter.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I haven't heard of marmite, but I tried veggimite when I was in Australia studying abroad and thought it was one of the grossest things I've ever tasted!!

I am glad you had a wonderful long weekend! You definitely ate well! My weekend was another quiet one filled with studying, as usual. But it was my 2nd to last one that I will spend studying. My test can't come fast enough at this point.

Kacy said...

Everything looks great! I've never tried marmite, but I'm always down to try new things.

Anonymous said...

Have seen Marmite at the store, but have never tried. Bacon-wrapped sausage?!? Brilliant.