Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cake Pops


M


y very good friends are getting married in 3 days!! The countdown is on!! I am really looking forward to all the wedding festivities this weekend - I love weddings!

I also love oatmeal.

Breakfast:





(1/2 cup coffee, 1/2 cup almond breeze, 1/2 cup quick oats, 1 T almond butter, blackberries and strawberries, coconut)

Lunch was a turkey sub from Mr. Sub, loaded with veggies.

The hubby and I went to one of our favourite restaurants for dinner - Korea House. I had my usual, Bee Bim Bop:



After dinner we picked up plants for our yard. I got some flowers (white petunias - I only plant white flowers), some herbs (mint, cilantro, oregano, chives, basil) and some veggies (peas and peppers). I am still trying to find a tomato plant.

Do you plant anything in the spring?

This evening I was busy making CAKE POPS for the pre-wedding BBQ on Friday night!



Cake Pops


- Make a boxed cake mix according to the instructions
- Cool completely
- Crumble the cake into a bowl
- Add about 1/2 a container of store-bought icing (then more as needed)
- Form into balls and put in freezer for 10 minutes or so



- Melt a small amount of the chocolate (candy melts). Dip lollipop sticks into the chocolate and then insert them into the tops of the cake balls about 3/4 of the way:



- Freeze for about 20-30 minutes.
- Melt some chocolate (candy melts) in the microwave until smooth.
- Dip the pops into the chocolate and then let excess drip off.
- Give them a swirl, and stand them up in a piece of Styrofoam to dry:



EAT!!!!

I only dipped a few of the cake balls this evening, as the chocolate was not cooperating. The rest of the balls are in the freezer waiting to be made tomorrow night. I hope to perfect my cake ball dipping skills tomorrow night! I have some white and milk chocolate to try too.

The bride (my good friend Cori) will be wearing blue for her wedding.

Did you/ will you do anything nontraditional for your wedding?


18 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

okay officially my fav post from you! the pictures are insane! cake pops!! how does something so cute and delicious exist liek that!! would be great party food too!

adore the dinner wow yummy egg ontop. and please may i eat that oatmeal instead of you!! okay.. we can share...

Yelena said...

1. My husband and I love Korean- those stone bowls are magical especially when the rice gets crispy!
2. Those cake lollipops look so good- professional quality!
3. Um...well we lived together for 4 years, slept in the same bed the night before, took pictures before the ceremony, I threw the garter, and he threw the bouquet. I love nontraditional wedding stuff- it makes the event more personal!

sophia said...

I don't ever plan to get married, so I haven't thought that far yet! ;-)
But congrats to your friends for their wedding! Those cake pops are darling!

And yay bibimbap!! I'll be having my fair share when I return to Korea!

Quinn said...

You had me at cake pops. Holy yum!

And Bee Bim Bop is one of my favorite dishes. I love the stone bowl!

I try to plant things in the spring, but they have been ending in huge, huge failures. Oh well!

Alanna said...

I can't wait till the Bakerella cake pop book comes out! So much cuteness :)

Have you ever grown herbs indoors?

Becca said...

I'm getting married, twice. Once at the courthouse, and then again with family/friends and doing the big invite/party thing.

These little cake pops are really cute. Are they hard to make? I assume mostly time consuming, eh?

Anonymous said...

Glenn and I are probably doing a destination the more we look into it...we don't have time and he doesn't have $$$!! Anyways, I love weddings too!! As well as your cake pops!

Simply Life said...

I LOVE this idea for cake!!!

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting idea with the cake! Are you a flower rasict? Only planting white flowers?! LOL

Anonymous said...

I love weddings too! I didn't do anything nontraditional, but I love when others do stuff like that. The cake balls look so good!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

I love when brides wear something other than white or diamond white or ivory white or off-white.

Kat said...

Congrats to your friend! I love the color!
My wedding was pretty traditional, although during the ceremony we did have a fun slide show of us two that everyone laughed at. It was great :)

Jocelyn said...

Those cakepops are adorable..I LOVE baby blue :)

Lindsay @ http://pancakesnpajamas.blogspot.com/ said...

I love the ideas of cake pops. They're so cute and I'd rather eat cake than candy anyday!

Toni @ Imperfect Pregnancy said...

We sadly remained mostly traditional. Both of us would have wanted to be a bit more non-traditional but the in laws would have none of that... and the wedding was on their property so...

Kacy said...

Those are so cute! I'm impressed by your baking skills!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

those remind me of something my mom would make for me as a kid for my bday! except they weren't blue but same concept...ooooh i want one now!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Awesome! LOVE this idea!! I'm going to have to give it a try!! I was trying to figure out how you make them into balls! haha