Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Snacky Evening with Friends

On Saturday we had two other couples over for a snacky evening


The day was spent preparing various goodies:


I made cupcakes, cookies, and a loaf of focaccia bread:


We marinated char siu pork for two days, and then grilled it and cooled it:


I opened this new condiment we found in Saskatoon recently:


And we did a bunch of other little things before our pals arrived at 7:00 p.m.


When Matt, Alissa, Fanta and Keith arrived, we started with a cheese board/ platter.


Next up we used the char siu pork in fresh rolls, and made a coconut milk-based peanut sauce for dipping.


The next snack was a beet perogy, with some sour cream and sriracha.


After the perogy we fried some cornmeal-crusted shrimp:


And then used those in shrimp po boys:


We moved down into the basement for a while and listened to vinyls, and then had super crispy chicken wings.


Finally we had some sweet snacks - double chocolate merlot cookies:


And pumpkin cupcakes with salted caramel buttercream:


What a wonderful evening with these lovely friends 💜


I have actually known Matt (on the far left) for 20 years!  His wife Alissa and I hit it off as soon as he started dating her many, many years ago; I liked her right away.  When they got married (such a fun wedding) I got to add a personal touch to their wedding by making cake pops - mmm!  I met Fanta through Alissa quite a while back, but didn't know her too well.  When Christopher and I were at Matt and Alissa's home last summer we got to chat with Fanta and her newer boyfriend Keith (now husband), and really enjoyed their company.  Since last summer we have gotten together with these couples quite a few times, and we always have a lot of laughs.  

How was your weekend?  What did you do?  
How is your week going so far?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am so behind on blogs but working to catch up when I have downtime during the day. This snacky evening is right up my alley! I love snacky meals, especially charcuterie boards! (sp?) Give me cheese and crackers and I am happy! All the other treats look so good, too. I love hosting other people and we do it way more now that I live with Phil. Before when I lived in my downtown condo people did not like to come over because of the limited parking - which I get as it's annoying to struggle to find a parking spot. We are having friends over tonight for our annual pumpkin carving party. I can't wait! We just got back from vacation last night so I kept it simple and am just making chili and we will have ice cream and toppings for dessert. Another friend is bringing vegetarian chili, so I only have to make one kind. Should be lots of fun!