Monday, May 23, 2016

Toronto Getaway

Very early on Friday morning we flew to Toronto.  Neither of us had been in Ontario at all before, and we figured Toronto was a good place to start.  We arrived before noon, and checked into The Thompson Hotel.  This hotel is absolutely gorgeous, and super cool.  I'd highly recommend it; we loved everything about our room, and the hotel in general.


I wouldn't say it's very good for families; we didn't see a single kid in the hotel all weekend.  There is a night club in the basement, and a pool/lounge on the rooftop with an incredible view.


After checking into the hotel we immediately walked to Kinton Ramen.


We're ramen addicts; it's hard to find a more comforting food.

After lunch we walked to the CN Tower, and went on up to the top.


I stood on the glass floor, but Christopher just couldn't do it ... awwwe. 

We wandered all afternoon, and later on in the day we hit up Bar Raval.  This gorgeous cocktail/tapas restaurant was rated #9 of Canada's 100 Best Restaurants

We shared a bunch of small plates, starting with sobrassada sausage, which is spreadable, and murcia al vino cheese.


The sobrassada was fantastic spread on the bread.

Next up were tuna/pickle skewers, which look pretty basic, but are so satisfying in taste and texture. 


One of our favourites was the stracciatella and boquerones, which are pickled anchovies over a burrata-like cheese, on bread, topped with parsley oil.


We also raved about the octopus, which was so tender, perfectly cooked, and served with potatoes.


We were starting to get full, but then we found out that Bar Raval has a raw bar, and we just had to order some oysters.


And with that, our first day in Toronto was complete, and we were ready to crash for the evening.

Have you ever been to Toronto?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE TORONTO!! Definitely didn't eat at any of the places you guys did but maybe next time!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I have not been to Toronto but I'd love to visit it eventually. I've heard it's a great city with lots of culture. Kamloops Amber is going there next week actually!

Anonymous said...

I've been, though I can't say I'm a fan. Too "big city" for my taste, though I know lots of people who visit regularly.