Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Cheesecake, Visits, and Things ...

This week is off to a great start.  On Monday I made a classic cheesecake for the first time.  Although I love cheesecake, I can't remember ever making it before.  It turned out really well, especially for a first attempt!


I whipped up a fresh strawberry glaze for topping.


I brought water, sugar, cornstarch and fresh strawberries to a boil until it was thick and bubbly.  It's so much better than a store-bought sauce.


While the cheesecake and glaze were cooling I met Christopher for lunch at Western Pizza.  Since I'll now be working across town, I'll be closer to where Christopher delivers, and we'll be able to meet for lunch a lot more throughout the year (when we don't have delicious leftovers at home to eat for lunch).


He couldn't wait to dig into his cheesecake later in the day.


On Monday evening I caught up with some girlfriends, and then later that evening I learned that my cousins from Ontario were in town and wanted to have a visit on Tuesday!  It had been many years since I saw any of them, and Christopher hadn't met them yet.

Yesterday I was up early, cleaned up a bit, and picked up a few snacks and bevvies.  I baked some chocolate chip cookies, and made a Thai soup for lunch:


In the afternoon we had a lovely visit in the backyard with my cousin Janine and her sweet little baby boy Oliviero, my cousin Sara & her husband Luis, and their kids Mary and Sam.  It was so nice to catch up, and we look forward to seeing them again when we eventually make it to Toronto (hopefully in 2016).

Last night we had BBQd chicken and Greek salad for dinner.


Monday and Tuesday were wonderful!  I'm excited to see what the rest of the week holds. 

How's your week going so far?  Have you ever made cheesecake? 

5 comments:

Why am I here??? said...

Where is the Western Pizza buffet?

Veronica Vaughn said...

I am going to learn to quit looking at your blog before lunch because my stomach starts growling!!!
That pizza looks so good! I haven't ate pizza in months. This needs to change I think.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

@ Jennifer - It's on Broadway Ave :-) Only Mondays and Tuesdays from 11:30-1:30.

Why am I here??? said...

Thank you!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think I have only made cheesecake from scratch once and it was when I was living in Colorado during a summer break of college. I made a carrot cheesecake and it was pretty good! But I remember thinking it was a lot of work!

This week has been good but it's been a whirlwind as I was in Chicago Tuesday/Wednesday for work and got back around 8 pm last night. We have dinner plans tonight with another couple and have to stop by a birthday get together after that so today is going to be a long day, but fun!