Sunday, December 30, 2012

Highlights of 2012

T


his was quite the year. 



Life Stuff

I have always considered myself a pretty independent person, but I've become even more so in 2012.  There were many life changes for me this year, and I've grown as a result.  Throughout the year I've lost some people who were very close to me, some friends, some basically family - one to death :-( and others to life.  Life happens and you learn along the way.  This year I learned to trust myself.  I learned who my true friends are and how important they are to me.  I also learned that you can't predict or plan out your future; you never know where life will take you.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray ... and for that, I am grateful.  Someone special came into my life this year and I haven't stopped smiling since.


 
Big Foodie Events

Foodbuzz (now Federated Media Publishing) fully sponsored one of my dinner parties, providing me with $250 to make the night happen: 

5 Tastes in 5 Courses 



I was also lucky enough to score an interview with Chef Ron from Sweet Genius.  This year my readership more than doubled, and I am grateful for each and every one of you lovely people who visit this site.  Thank you.

Baking and Cooking

We cooked lobster for the first time and taped a few seconds of it.



I had an epic cookie battle, in which I made five different types of chocolate chip cookies.  Check out all the yum in the links below:



Levain-Like Cookies (Jumbo & Double Chocolate)



Crisp and Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies 



New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nestle Toll House Inspired Cookies

If you like cookies, I also posted a recipe for THE BEST sugar cookies around.  I took a cooking class with some girlfriends for a bachelorette party and learned how to flood cookies, so I can now make 'em even prettier.  I also had a fun time at my friend Mel's bachelorette party days before her beautiful wedding.

I made a bunch of new recipes this year.  Just a sample are linked below:

Beef Wrapped Enoki Mushrooms



Homemade Kimchi
The Krustanowitch
Chicken with Jalapeno Cream Sauce



Italian Sausage,Yam & Kale Soup
Moose Calzone
Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Icing



Easy Seafood Chowder
Chocolate Oat Parfait with Maple Banana Soft Serve (Breakfast)



Fun Stuff/ Travel

I saw a bunch of live music throughout the year, and nearly got rained out at an outdoor music festival.  I went camping in August and caught a fish.  In April I traveled to New York for the third time, and then in July I went to Vegas and enjoyed what was probably the best meal of my life (or at least one of the best dishes of my life). 



It has been a year ... and what a year it was. 

What are some of your highlights from 2012? 

6 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I posted my highlights of 2012 today, too! It was quite a year for me as well, full of good moments (meeting my boyfriend, passing my CFA exam, going on some great trips) and also full of some challenging times (the stress of preparing for that exam, having sinus surgery, being overwhelmed by my travel schedule). But all in all, there were more great things than not so great things, and for that I am thankful.

Simply Life said...

Looks like you've had a full year! Happy 2013!

Kacy said...

2012 was a pretty great one. Moving into DC and getting engaged were up toward the top :)

Glad you had a great year too!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there weren't more photos of bacon...

Mom on the Run said...

Happy New Year! It sounds like you had a great year. Looking forward to see what 2013 brings.

Allysia said...

I like those pictures of you and Chris. :) Also I said it before, but congrats on the foodbuzz thing - that's a really good deal! And I totally forgot about the cookie battle, but it was awesome and I pinned a couple of the recipes. 2012 has been crazy in the relationship department for both of us, and I hope you're as happy as I am for it. :)