Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Veggie Monster

V 


eggies are my friends.  I have yet to find a vegetable that I don't like.  I try to squeeze them in to my meals and snacks any way I can, in an attempt to get my 5-10 per day.  It is really difficult to get enough, especially since I despise making salads.  

Does anyone want to be my personal salad chef?  
If so, please drop a salad off each day at 4:30 - thanks.  

I always have Michael Pollan's wise words in the back of my mind ...

"Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."

Words to live by, although often easier said than done
(well the last part anyway)!

I squeezed some plants in this morning with 3 giant handfuls of organic spinach in my smoothie, along with a scoop of Amazing Grass, 1/2 a banana, and some almond milk.

My dinners for the last two days have been loaded with plants.

On Monday I made grilled chili lime tofu, with portobello mushrooms and asparagus:


I topped the tofu with a mixture of cilantro hot sauce, salsa, and this stuff I just found in the grocery store:


This evening we had Pioneer Woman's Cauliflower Soup.  It was AWESOME!  There are many steps involved in this recipe, but they are all really easy and definitely worth the time.


I substituted the whole milk for 2%, and omitted the sour cream (we didn't have these things), and it still turned out creamy, flavourful, and delicious.

And when I need a carb fix (like last night, after my tofu/veggie dinner wore off), I love Averie's little vegan banana oat cakes that take 2 minutes to make:

Before microwaving
After microwaving



- Mash 1/2  banana
- Stir in 3 T quick oats, 1 T brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 scoop chia seeds (optional)

Spray a microwave safe dish, and dump the mixture in.  Microwave for 90 seconds.
Let rest 2 minutes, then dump out and eat.

Do you like cauliflower soup?  Have you ever made it? 

18 comments:

Kat said...

mmm everything looks yummy!! I LOVE cauliflower, so I am sure I would love it as a soup! That little banana cake looks divine!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Can I have a personal salad chef too? I love veggies but don't eat nearly enough.

DessertForTwo said...

I'm a total veggie lover too! I thought I was the only one who actually ate the recommended servings daily! That's my secret to keeping off the weight: not too much meat and no cheese.

I adore cauliflower soup Persian-style, with butter, onions, chicken broth and saffron. Green onions on top too :)

Amber said...

I remind myself of that saying by Michael Pollen ALL THE TIME! Love it :)

Umm Mymoonah said...

Both soup and cake looks great.

Simply Life said...

wow -looks like some great eats!

Kacy said...

I love cauliflower soup! i've never made it though.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I've never had cauliflower soup but I am sure I would like it - it looks really yummy!! :)

I love salads, but am not a fan of chopping up all the ingredients, either. I try to do all of the slicing and dicing on Sunday so that I don't have to do it during the week! A salad prepper would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

I've never tried or made cauliflower soup, but it looks tasty! I just made a post about how I need more veggies in my life...I loved reading about the vegetables in your life :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you loved my jam blurbs, hahaha. You've got to watch a bit of that show, if you haven't already!

I've made a curried cauliflower soup (from Vegetarian Times) that I LOVED, which means I'd probably like this one too...

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

Good for you girl! Veggies are a must ;) I love portabello mushrooms so much and should really be making them more....great reminder!

I have never had cauliflower soup, but I think I want to try that!

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that pretty much the only salad I make at home is spinach + Craisins + feta + raspberry vinaigrette? I hate chopping stuff up, and this is not only a nice combo, it involves no chopping!

I've seen the herbs-in-a-tube but have never tried them...

Yelena said...

The grilled mushroom looks absolutely fantastic. I think you do a great job of getting all your veggies in and have absolutely nothing to worry about!

I've never had cauliflower soup but it looks really good!

Emily said...

I'm going to have to try the cauliflower soup. That sounds gooood!

I've been enjoying asparagus lately too. :)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats said...

I love Michael Pollan and anything he says/does! That soup looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Michael Pollan is amaaaazing. He was on Oprah again just last week and I always appreciate the things he says. I consider his Food Rules book to be the equivalent of a food bible.

I must buy that Pioneer Woman Cookbook immediately.

lynn said...

i need to make those oat cakes - they look great and i ALWAYS have those ingredients on hand!

Linda - Nutrition to Invigorate Mind, Body & Spirit said...

So, I am posting on all of your posts but everything looks amazing!!

xo