Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rare Food Purchases

I


n all of 2010 I had two bowls of cereal.  I am just not a cereal person ... 

But I was craving it yesterday:


I picked up a box of organic maple pecan cereal the other day because it sounded good, and I wanted something easy for busy mornings.  It hit the spot yesterday on a ugly Wednesday morning.

My lunch for the past two days has included leftover cauliflower soup, and an orange.

The hubby made chicken for dinner yesterday (topped with tomato sauce and mozza) and I whipped up tabbouleh salad to go with it.  It was so good!


After my night class I was starving, so I prepared a healthy snack:


I also had a fruit filled snack on Tuesday night:

 

And some more fruit this morning on my oatmeal:

 

There is a lot of sickness going around my group of friends, co-workers, family, etc. and I am determined not to get it.  Bring on the vitamins!

We had a wonderful dinner this evening.  The hubby made an Indian spiced spaghetti squash with lentils, and I whipped up some braised red cabbage with apples, onions and spices.  We served them side-by-side, and they paired so well that I ended up stirring it all together.


My snack tonight was half of a cucumber.

Do you eat cabbage?  What do you do with it?  Do you use red or green, or both?
Do you have any rare food purchases - things that you eat only once or twice a year?

This was probably only the second time I bought cabbage in the past 6.5 years.  My parents used to buy it when I was was growing up, but I cannot remember what they made with it (besides fried cabbage, which is SO good).  I also remember that I loved the green stuff raw - it had a "hot" taste to that is hard to describe.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up, I got so excited whenever my Mom used cabbage to make her coleslaw... now I like to mix red cabbage in with shredded lettuce to add a little color to my salads.

You have been eating an unreal amount of fruits and veggies lately... I'm inspired!

Eden said...

I LOVE cabbage! cooked or raw! I make salads with it and stuff tacos with it!
I rarely buy apples. Weird, I know! but just dont love them. I buy peaches and pears all the time, but once in a blue moon I buy apples.

sophia said...

I eat cabbage almost every day. It is the cheapest, and delicious veggie! I get the normal green ones. I also adore napa cabbage.

That Indian spiced spaghetti squash with lentils sounds soo delish. I'm planning to buy a bag of lentils soon.

Lot-O-Choc said...

oh wow all your food looks lovely :) i am sucha cereal person though, i love it!!

Simply Life said...

oh wow, I love cereal too much not to have it at least once a month!

Anonymous said...

i love cabbage but eaten in huge amounts hurts my stomach like no other!!! Rare food buys=cadbury creme eggs!!They are almost back!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love cabbage! I have this napa chicken salad with a tamari/sesame seed oil based dressing that is awesome. But I don't buy cabbage very often. When we were kids, my mom used to make this cheesy cooked cabbage dish that was SO good. Yum.

I rarely buy gluten free bread because it usually tastes like crap and it is so expensive! But I did finally find a brand I like so I will treat myself to it occasionally!

Kat said...

I bought red cabbage yesterday too! I had never had it, but it is super good! I have no idea how to use it all though haha

Unknown said...

I LOVE cabbage! In salads, soups, as wraps-- it's filling and the crunch is so satisfying!

Amber said...

I never really buy and prepare cabbage myself but I have had really good recipes and salads made with cabbage before!!

Kacy said...

I love cabbage but I never buy it. Not sure why.

Unknown said...

I NEVER buy cabbage. Last night I had cabbage for the first time in years. In my cooking class we made a cabbage out of salad instead of regular lettuce. If you have leftover cabbage you should try it...I am blogging about it this weekend.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

I LOVE roasting cabbage. If you like roasted brussels sprouts, you'll be a fan!

Beaglebea said...

Love making braised red cabbage with red wine, applejuice and apples. I like it with mashed potatoes or schnitzel.

Anonymous said...

I think I've only ever bought cabbage twice. I don't really enjoy it cooked that much, but my grandma used to make a casserole that was really good. She also made coleslaw a lot, usually with cabbage grown in her own garden. Oh, and of course I love cabbage rolls!

Averie said...

i only buy certain things soooo infrequently, cant think of anything off the top of my head.

but if it's not a staple item, i just dont buy them anymore b/c i end up wasting the food or money!

Anonymous said...

We ate Cabbage all the time when I was younger - with Sunday dinner - my Dad LOVED it! I used to turn my nose up at it...;)

should try it again though...