Thursday, January 6, 2011

I love cooking with wine ...


Sometimes I even put it in the food ...

- Julia Child


Yesterday (Wednesday) was my last day of holidays, and what better way to spend it than making Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon.  I made this dish once before back when Julie and Julia came out. That was a year and a half ago, so I figured it was time to make it again!


The aroma that filled my house when this was cooking was deep and bold. You could almost taste it.
I followed Julia's directions exactly, serving the bourguignon over boiled potatoes, and using a Chianti wine as she recommends.  


Other eats yesterday didn't compare but included: tropical oatmeal, leftover vegan gluten-free mac and cheese, and yogurt with pineapple, chocolate and coconut.

 

Have you ever made boeuf bourguignon?  What is your favourite French dish?


16 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Love that Julia Child quote :)

Amanda said...

No! I've never made it and I've always wanted to. I keep waiting until I get a dutch oven to cook it in.

Meghan@travelwinedine said...

Love the quote, and I am SO impressed by this dish. I have never made boeuf bourguignon, and for some reason it totally intimidates me.

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

Oh my gawd those mushrooms look good! SO SO good!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans said...

I have never made boeuf bourguignon! Recipes that take longer than about 15 minutes make me nervous...

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) said...

your recipes sound sooo fancy!!!!

but i love cooking with wine...yum!!

Laura said...

Looks like you remembered not to "crowd the mushrooms" hahahaha.

I don't know what I eat that's French anymore... I used to love coq au vin. that's gotta be French...

mymarblerye said...

you amaze me! I've always wanted to EAT it but I knew the cooking process is too long/hard? Maybe I'm wrong. I think I need to find my passion in cooking again...lately it's been a passion of eating out!

Kacy said...

I love that quote :)

Anne Marie said...

I've never made French food before-clearly I'm missing out! I still need to see Julie and Julia. I don't know why I haven't watched it yet!

Kris | iheartwellness.com said...

oh wow! you are an amazing cook!!! I love that I can feel your passion for cooking coming through this post ;)

I love drinking wine and rarely cook with it, but I guess it goes better with meat anyways ;)

Have a great Friday doll!

xxoo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

My aunt made this for our Julia Child night in November. It was DIVINE. Such a great dish. And I love that Julia Child quote!

Beaglebea said...

Hmm...boeuf bourgognon is so tasty.. especially with the red wine :)

the actor's diet said...

ever since seeing julie and julia i've been wanting to try Boeuf Bourguignon. i had a bite of someone's the other night at a restaurant and it was good, but i'm sure a homemade version would be even better.

Lisa said...

Have never even tried to make it, was it difficult? Very ambitious of you! I've made a cheese souffle which was much easier than I thought it would be and very impressive to serve, or at least my mother thought so.

Kelly said...

I love that movie about Julia! You remind me of her.