Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mocha Oatmeal



Mocha oats are the perfect way to start the day.
(3/4 cup coffee, 1/4 cup almond breeze, 1/2 cup quick oats, 1 T dark chocolate dreams PB, 1 t coconut, 1 t maple flakes).



I cannot believe I used to HATE oatmeal. It was actually Starbucks that introduced me to oatmeal that I actually liked. I tried the "Perfect Oatmeal" from Starbucks with all 3 of the toppings, and I was hooked. I started experimenting with toppings at home, and have come up with endless possibilities. I would never be able to eat plain oats ... but oats with flavour and toppings, I LOVE.

I am still afraid to try savoury oats though. Have you tried them?

I packed a quick lunch today, with the fixings for a toasted tomato sandwich, along with an some Coconut Greek yogurt and cheese:





I worked 12 hours today, only taking a break for dinner. Report cards are done. Phew.

The hubby and I went to a fundraiser steak night with our friends Shauna and Brian. The lighting was terrible in the restaurant so the picture isn't the greatest. I had a small glass of beer, with a steak "sandwich", small baked potato and a Caesar salad. It was decent.



Any big plans for the weekend?

14 comments:

Fit Chick in the City said...

You had me at mocha! =) How can one not love oatmeal? Glad you discovered it's wonderful possibilities!

Quinn said...

Mocha oats?!? Sound amaze!

We have friends coming into town tomorrow and I'm running a St. Patty's Day 5k on Sunday.

Simply Life said...

Hope you'll be able to relax after those long workdays!

Anonymous said...

I used to hate oatmeal too! I have a bridal shower tomorrow-should be fun!

Kat said...

Oh your toppings never cease to amaze me. Coffee in oatmeal? Two of my favorite things in the morning right there! And your 80s party sounds like a blast!! Enjoy!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers said...

Am curious about what kind of Greek yogurt you can get in Sask.

I'm in Wpg and I've been scouring stores trying to find different Greek yogurt but there just doesn't seem to be the variety here that there is in the US.

Anonymous said...

I'm scared of savory oats as well! BTW I hated certain nut butters till i topped it on oatmeal. oatmeal is like a blank canvas!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday said...

You can't be a food blogger and not love oatmeal.

Amber said...

Food blogs have introduced me to SO MANY interesting ways to eat oats! Now, I LOVE them. They're my favourite breakfast by far!!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

Eek long day!! They don't give teachers enough credit...

I can't do the savory oats... ick..

We're playing cards tonight.. nothing else fun and exciting!!

Kacy said...

I love savory oats. Try just thinking of them as rice and then do combinations you would make with rice. Cheese and hot sauce is a must :)

Gina said...

That dark choclate dreams schtuff is insanely good...my bf and I fight over the jar:)

Anonymous said...

funny that sbux turned you on to oats!

Evin said...

I just made mocha oats m'self, then googled to see if I'd invented something! Love the blog! Commenting on a really old post just to add that I love savory oats. As a southern girl I grew up w/ grits but they don't have the nutritional wallop that oats do, so I dress my oats the way I would grits: Salt, pepper, garlic, cheese and lots of hot sauce. It's tasty!

For my mocha oats I just used left over coffee, 5 minute oats, a drizzle of chocolate syrup and a little brown sugar. Then topped it w/ a little heavy cream. It was really yummy but i wish I'd made it tomorrow morning instead of 11 pm! Hah!