Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Vegetarian Meal #9 of 10 and Grossness.

Today was a bizzzzzarrro day. I woke up feeling AWFUL. I had a terrible headache that was making me feel sick to my stomach.

For breakfast I made a GM with 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 1 banana, 1 T almond butter, and 1 scoop Amazing Grass powder.



Within 5 minutes it came back up - tasting the same way as it went down.
(Sorry for the details - but it did). Twice.

After that, I started feeling much better. I popped a couple liquid gel pills and got ready for work. I also cooked up about 60 perogies and some onions for my work potluck lunch today.





By about 9:45 I was fine.

For a mid-morning snack I had a glo-bar:



Seriously - these things are ridiculously good. Like crack. (I have never done crack, I am just assuming it is good, because people like it - right?).

We had a potluck lunch today, but I didn't have my camera, so I am going to have to just tell you what wonderful things I had. I had 1 plate that included a little bit of:

- mini meatballs
- enchilada casserole
- perogies
- spinach salad
- pulled pork
- rice
- chili

I took about 1 or 2 T of each thing and ate most of the plate. For dessert I had 2 bites of turtle cheesecake, and 1 mini brownie.

Dinner tonight was vegetarian mean #9 of 10! A favourite standby in our house:

Curried Lentil Soup
(I am totally loving curry right now if you can't tell)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, minced
2 cups peeled and finely diced carrots
1 cup peeled and finely diced potatoes
1 1/2 cups canned lentils, rinsed
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup milk or milk substitute
2 tsp curry powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, carrots and potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes.
  • Add lentils, stock, milk and curry. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  • Purée soup in a blender or food processor. Adjust seasonings.








My portion:



Served with 1/2 a piece of nan bread (to dip):





I am glad my headache is gone - those pills worked. I used to get headaches more frequently in high school, and now only about once a month. But lately (probably because of how busy life is, and the stress I am under) I have been getting them more than usual. When I go to bed with one, it seems that I wake up with an even worse one.
And I am getting nauseated almost every time I get a headache now.

My stomach is weird like that - I puke a lot, kinda.

If I am super hungry - I barf.


If I ride in a car with standard transmission - I hurl.

If I eat something that doesn't agree with me - I spew.

If I don't get enough sleep - I upchuk.

If I do homework - I vomit.

(Ok, the last one is a lie - but you get the idea).

My stomach just might hate me.

What about you? Are you a puker? What about headaches?

17 comments:

Devan said...

eeek. thats no good :( that you vomit!
I think i am a headace girl. or i get rREALLY tense and sore.

Amber said...

Oh no! That sucks that you puked this morning :S

I'm a big-time puker when I get drunk or really sick with like the flu or something, but other than that not so much. I swear puking makes me feel BETTER! Haha

Glad you felt better the rest of the day at least, though!

Karly said...

hey jolene, thanks for commenting on my blog. where in saskatchewan are you from? im in saskatoon!

Sophia said...

Ack! I hate puking! That is not a pleasant experience. I do puke easily, though. I get car sick really easily! And I tend to puke when I feel sick, or eat too much or too fast!

Simply Life said...

Oh no! Sorry you woke up not feeling good again :( I'm glad it sounds like you're doing better though! That soup looks great!

Joy of Food said...

Sorry you weren't well.
I suffer from migraines, which make me throw up, drowsy, bad vision etc. The only way I can get through them is taking special medication and going to bed. Thankfully they don't occur too often (touch wood)

Taylor

Low said...

Sorry about the headache (migraine?) and the puking. I rarely puke because I hate doing it so much. My stomach rarely gives me problems though, thank goodness.

That soup looks great! I've been looking for a good lentil soup recipe.

Anonymous said...

I am afraid of puking - literally! I would rather deal with almost anything else.

Anonymous said...

Your crack joke made me laugh so hard! When I get super hungry I always feel like I'm going to barf. Which makes me not want to eat which just makes it worse :( I actually do feel like vomitting when I do homework sometimes... I think I'm allergic... lol. Sometimes taking my vitamin makes me puke which means I have to be very careful about making sure I eat enough before I take it. Also, crying too hard makes me puke sometimes too (in the kitchen sink... or my sisters front yard...) In addition, I once threw up in a random person's yard while I was driving home from school when my menstral cramps made me physically ill (I just pulled over in their driveway, opened the car door and puked. The bad thing is, it was a pretty busy road so I'm sure half our town probably saw! lol

Anonymous said...

i throw up from headaches-have all my life
i hope you're feeling ok today!

Anais said...

WHen I was younger I would get an indigestion ALL THE TIME! So gross... Now it's better, but I think my stomach still gets upset easily!

That soup looks delish, I just might attempt to make it :P

Jess said...

Hey Jolene! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love Angela's Glo Bars too! They are so delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you arent feeling great- you should definitely see a doctor or a naturopath about your headaches/ nausea. There could be some homeopathic cures!!

Grace said...

That soup looks yummy... I've bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing it!

Sorry to hear about all your headache/vomitting. What a pain that must be. :/ I do get frequent headaches but thankfully I rarely ever puke. Even when I had food poisoning, I didn't really puke.

Yelena said...

I'm sorry you felt sick, but your post really cracked me up. Hope you feel better. Your soup looks so, so good! Almost makes me want to cook soup myself. Except for all the work involved!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries said...

I almost neverrrrr throw up. The only culprit is too much alcohol haha.

Hope you're feeling better!

Unknown said...

Oh you poor thing... that is my biggest fear!! I hate getting sick!

Your curry soup looks AMAZING!!