Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Low-Country Boil & Belated 10 Year Blog Birthday!

The Labour Day long weekend was so, so wonderful!  We had been looking forward to this weekend for a while and had a few fun things planned, starting with a low-country boil.


Since all the ingredients just get thrown into a pot and cook together, there really isn't much for prep work.  We were able to kick back and relax while dinner cooked, and then we enjoyed it outside.


We filled our Dutch oven pot about 3/4 full with water (max.), then added approximately 1 T of cajun spice, 1 T of Old Bay, 3 bay leaves, 1 T peppercorns, 1 T kosher salt, 3 T butter, the juice of 1 lemon, and then we tossed the rest of the lemon in there too, and 1 small onion (all approximate, as we eyeballed it).

After bringing all of that to a boil, we let it simmer and reduce for a few minutes.  Then we added baby potatoes and cooked those for a while.  The corn went in next, then Andouille sausage, and finally the crab legs and shrimp.


Once the shrimp were done we scooped everything out onto some packing paper and dug in.  We had Old Bay on the table, as well as some hot sauce, horseradish, and cocktail sauce, although everything was so flavourful we didn't really need to add any more seasoning.


This was an easy dinner that we will be making again very soon!


After dinner, I slipped inside to ice the cake that I had made after work.  It was a belated-birthday cake to celebrate 10 years of Everyday Foodie, which was actually four weeks ago today (but we were camping then).


I cannot believe I have been blogging for over 10 years, back when it was very strange to take pictures of one's food, and Instagram was years from being created.  I was always so shy about taking pictures of my food in restaurants and tried to sneakily do so while getting funny looks, and usually a blurry photo.

This blog has been a fun, creative outlet for me over the years, and I hope it continues to be so for the years to come.

Friday night was the start of one of the best weekends I've had in a while!  After our crab boil, we sat outside for the rest of the evening and enjoyed the beautiful weather.


How was your long weekend?  
Have you ever done a low-country boil?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I haven't ever done a low country boil, but I should since it's so easy! The last time I had it was when I visited my friend Mandy in Ohio back in 2013! So long ago!

Your backyard is so lovely! I love the lights along the fence. It makes it look so cozy. I can't wait until we find a home and I can do things to make it 'our own.' I know we won't be in our house much longer (I hope!) so I haven't made any changes. But I definitely want a cozy back yard like yours in our next house!!