Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Fall

It seems like Fall came early this year.  There is a crispness in the air, and leaves all over the ground already.  It seems too early for this, and I remember much, much nicer Septembers in the past.


We have yet to harvest the scotch bonnet peppers we planted, as they are still not fully grown.  I am hoping that they don't freeze before they're ready to pick; jerk chicken just isn't the same without scotch bonnets. 

I've started waking up about half an hour earlier in the morning than I was used to, and it's still quite dark when I am getting into the shower.  Once I am making breakfast it is starting to lighten up a bit, but I sure do miss the super sunny, summer mornings. 


The beginning of Fall feels more like the start of a new year to me than January does, and with it comes excited feelings for a fresh start

Also with Fall comes our nephew Giovanni's football games!


Last night we watched his team play a really exciting, and close game, which they ended up winning.  We love going to his games, and look forward to when our other nieces and nephew have activities that we can go to too 💚 It is wonderful having so many little ones in our lives, with all our family members, and friends' kids.

After the game last night we had some of the scalloped potato casserole that we had made the day before.  It's delicious, and was easy to make.  I think kids would love it.  You can find the recipe for it here.

This evening we made a tomato, corn, and burrata salad.


Burrata is my new favourite salad topping.  The only place I've been able to find it in town is Italian Star Deli, so we'll be making more frequent trips to that delightful little shop, specifically for this cheese.

Do you like burrata?  Does it feel like Fall where you are?  If you planted a garden or pots of herbs/ veggies, have you harvested all your goodies yet?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Fall has not arrived here yet but I am ready for it as it’s been a really hot and at times humid summer. Our highs are in the 28-31C range this week so it’s pretty steamy out there. But I am reminding myself that I will miss this weather when it’s super cold for months on end. I do miss the longer hours of daylight, though, as I don’t like getting ready for the day in the dark.

I planted a garden this year but it’s honestly been really neglected since I went back to work. It’s just really hard to find time to go over there with now busy my nights are. I am going to pull everything out this weekend. I had a great crop of tomatoes earlier in the season and was able to make marinara so at least I was able to can something!!