Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Flavours of Asia

This past weekend we cooked some new dishes, including a Thai soup, a Laotian salad, and Singapore chili crab dip.


We found the Thai soup recipe in a cookbook, but it seemed bland when we were done, so we added a bunch of ingredients to make it our own.  It turned out really well.


The Nem Khao (Lao crispy rice salad) was incredible.  We realized after we were done eating, that we had forgotten to add the peanuts, but it was great without them.  You start by frying up seasoned rice into little patties:


These are then tossed with ginger, lime, shallots, chillies, cilantro, etc., in the most harmonious blend of ingredients ever put into one bowl. 


The textures and the flavours in this dish are to-die-for.  You can find the recipe here.

The next day we made Singapore chili crab dip, which tasted way better than we even expected it to.  We will absolutely make it again.  It's got a great bit of kick from the sweet chili sauce and hot chillies.


We dipped potato wedges into this dip, and had a bit left over.  You can find the recipe here.

Did you cook any new recipes recently?  How was your weekend?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum! Those dishes all look delicious. Especially that dip at the end. I have basically barely cooked in the last 2 weeks due to my move, or if I cooked, I made things with whatever I had in my freezer/fridge which sometimes turned out good and sometimes turned out awful! Ha. I can't wait to get settled into my new home next weekend so I can get back to cooking for myself!