Sunday, March 17, 2019

Thai Weekend ... or More?

It got so nice outside last week that Christopher rolled his car windows down for the first time in many, bitterly cold months.  Unfortunately the passenger side window was so happy to be down, that it just wouldn't go back up.  We ended up meeting at Canadian Tire on Friday after work.  After dropping his car off, we went out to grocery shop.  Once the groceries were put away we didn't want to start cooking, so we ordered in from a Thai restaurant in town, Siam.


The leftovers were lunch on Saturday.

On Saturday evening we went to our friends' place.  Cori and Chris were having a bunch of pals over to celebrate Cori's birthday, and they ordered in Thai food for dinner.

 
We were looking forward to this spread, as Thai food is a fave of ours.


We spent the evening visiting with friends, playing with the kids, and eating ice cream cake.  All the Thai dishes we enjoyed over the weekend really got us in the mood for our next adventure!

We're heading to Thailand next month!!!!!!

This will be my first time out of North America.  I have done a lot of traveling within North America, but have never left the continent; I always knew Asia would be the first place I headed when I did. 

Our favourite dishes in the world, and the best meal we've ever had, was from Lotus of Siam, which specializes in Northern Thai food.  We decided we'd head to the place where khao soi, and our other favourite eats, originate - Chiang Mai.  Chiang Mai is not near the beaches; it's in the mountainous regions of Northern Thailand.  The food is distinct from Southern Thai food, in that it is has more of a Burmese and Indian influence.  According to the Lonely Planet, "Northern Thai food is a world away from the dishes you've probably encountered at your local Thai restaurant at home - or even in Bangkok for that matter."  We cannot wait to experience all that the beautiful city of Chiang Mai has to offer.

How was your weekend?  
What has been your most adventurous vacation?  What continents have you traveled to?  Where do you hope to visit one day?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ahhhh! That is so exciting that you are going to Thailand! I've heard nothing but amazing things about that area of the world. You'll have to have green mango salad while you are there. I heard all about it when we were researching recipes for our Southeast Asia Julia Child Night. I've heard that you can get it in the open markets/food booths and it's amazing! I think it was also featured on a Top Chef episode when they were in Thailand one season.

I've been to Australia, Europe, and North America. I was also in New Zealand when I was in Australia. I kind of wish I had visited Thailand, but I just didn't have the time when I was there as there was so much to see in Australia and we spent our spring break (which was technically fall break there) in New Zealand. Phil has several friends that have been to Thailand so he would love to go there someday but I think that is far off as I don't think we would take young kids there. We'll see!